Topic Options
#69104 - 08/06/08 11:06 AM egg / slaughter withdrawl
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
This bugs me.

I got a prescription from a doctor once and after reading all the warnings and cautions on the insert, I was afraid for my life. I did NOT take the drug and had a chat with the pharmacist. He told me something that I thought was profound and perhaps it applies with poultry products too.

He said, the warning labels and precautions are not written by anyone with a medical background. They are written by corporate LAWYERS eek . Warnings are not written to protect you, the consumer, they are written to protect the company from a lawsuit. He said, it is very unlikely that you will experience all of the side effects listed. Or any of the side effects and not in the severity they are presenting.If this drug were that liable to make people that ill, it would NOT BE ON THE MARKET! But drug companies list every conceivable outcome, so that they are safe from all law suits.

So we agonize over having to throw out dozens of eggs, or put off slaughtering our birds until weeks later...and perhaps, just perhaps, it is not that necesarry after all. Maybe we should consider that package warnings are there for the protection of the drug company, not us!

Having said that, I am likely to follow listed instructions anyway. (Even as I use products in off label ways). I just think that there is more to think about here than what the label is telling us, there is a whole lot the lable is NOT telling us! But I know the medicating of a flock brings with it a whole list of concerns...does it really have to be this hard? Are we agonizing over nothing more than legal defense? I would love to hear from people on The Coop who know about drugs passing through systems. If there is drug traces in an egg and I fry the egg, is that drug still potent enough to affect me in any way?

Just a thought...don't believe everything you read...but believe the important stuff...but what IS the important stuff? I am confused frown

#69105 - 08/06/08 02:18 PM Re: egg / slaughter withdrawl
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
I hate to tell you, too, but the real deal IS, if you have a sick chicken, remove it from the premises immediately (how, is up to you). If you have a sick flock, remove the flock (how, is up to you) disinfect pen and wait before starting with new chicks. You will not need to keep any drugs, that don't keep long after one or two doses, or better still,keep none at all. You will never have to worry about eating eggs or birds that "might" have some drug residue that would affect you or your family. In other words, you will not have any sick or "treated" chickens in your flock. Do not add birds from another source, do not encourage visitors who own chickens. Do not take your birds to a show and bring them home--quarantined or not. There will be no confusion! confused ? laugh ! CJR Well......

#69106 - 08/06/08 02:44 PM Re: egg / slaughter withdrawl
LA Chick Offline
New Egg

Loc: California
Uno, CJR, a question about drugs, government and New Castle; around 1972 ( I was a kid then) there was a severe outbreak of New Castle. The government called on poultry owners to allow government workers to come out in protective suites (that reminded me of space suites), with expandable hoses from their truck and blow white foam medicine over everything. This worked and killed the disease. I was left with a feeling of awe and pride that our government cared!!
Did any other members experienced this back then?

#69107 - 08/07/08 01:56 PM Re: egg / slaughter withdrawl
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

If a bunch of government guys in hazmat suits came and sprayed anything on my property I'd freak out and make sure my will was in order. I think our government is so far removed from reality...they're living in some Hollywood movie production because most of what they do is done for 'press' appeal. Example: when they over-reacted to the bird flu here in BC and killed millions of birds. Millions! Petting zoos and private collections of exotic and rare birds, as well as beloved backyard flocks...butchered. Bird flu showed up in NONE of these flocks! mad Bird flu showed up in the caged flocks that the animal rights people get in a flap about. Keep birds in a sick way and you will get sick birds. DUH!

But the consuming public has one thing only on their minds and that is cheap food. Keep birds in obscene conditions and food is cheap. That's all that matters. And the govt knows that's all that matters. The govt acted like a bunch of trolls, and came out smelling like a rose even while they had chicken crap caked on their boots. Amazing.

Have I been impressed with anything my govt has done lately? Uh..no. Sad to say, but no.

Same as our government allows drug companies (and animal drug companies too, I am assuming) to print packaging warnings that do not protect us or our animals, but protect the drug company from us! What the...? I tell you, I think the world has gone bonkers. eek

#69108 - 08/07/08 05:48 PM Re: egg / slaughter withdrawl
LA Chick Offline
New Egg

Loc: California
Uno, I completely agree with you! I live in the heart of Hollywood, where sensationalism
was created (or we like to think so!). Just a few years back with the last New Castle epidemic, the government had massive slaughtering and burning campaign of poultry farms. Remembering how they tried saving the birds in the 70's, to now complete elimination of poultry. Perhaps it is the sign of the times; the past was a more naive place, or the price of medicating and manual labor today is just to costly. That is what surprised me the most is that the government went to that much effort to save these creatures then.

#69109 - 09/03/08 06:55 AM Re: egg / slaughter withdrawl
Ckvchestnut Offline
Flock Leader

This is a bit off topic but has anyone read the book "Natural Cures They Don't Want You To Know About" By Kevin Trudeau?? This book is right on the money about where the government, pharmaceutical companies, FDA, and FTC lie. This book is a good but frightening read! It's all about the money and all about protecting themselves not the consumers, sad but true.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn