Topic Options
#69142 - 05/11/08 07:37 PM Toxic Plants
Conbo Offline
Chick

Loc: New York
I have one Pekin duck (attempted to hatch two, but only one egg hatched) as a pet. I have been allowing the duckling to wander the yard supervised for now (completely closed off, etc.) and just be a duck. It's very happy and healthy, but someone told me that many plants and shrubs are toxic and if ingested will kill my little duck, which now has me worried!

Please tell me is there a list out there? Are there any plants in particular that I should remove if they are in my yard?

Thanks for whatever information you can give me.

#69143 - 05/12/08 06:12 PM Re: Toxic Plants
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Tennessee
Here is an old thread that may have some information for which you're looking.

http://www.the-coop.org/cgi-bin/UBB/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000733#000001

#69144 - 05/13/08 03:05 PM Re: Toxic Plants
C. G. McCary Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Alabama
Conbo:

I don't know about ducks but in my chicken run, there are lots of English Ivy, Privet, Ligustrom. Daffodils, Holly with the red berries (which I try to cut the berries off), Morning Glories, Azalea, Day Lillies, Amaryllis and an occasional volunteer tomato plant-- some growing year round. All these are poisonous to chickens.

I have noticed that my chickens, SO FAR, NEVER eat the Privet, the Ligustrom, Azaleas, Morning Glories or the Holly berries. Somehow, they discern these plants on their own & will not touch them. I can't believe they leave those red Holly berries alone but will readily eat wild strawberries and these other red berries (that I don't know what it is but it looks just like the holly berries but grows on a vine)-- somehow they know!

However, I have noticed my chickens will eat the Amaryllis and the Daffodils to the bare ground-- leaves, flowers and all. They will munch on the Day Lillies [leaves] some too. They have never been sick from this; I used to worry about it but don't anymore. I have never been able to rid the run portion of my yard of all these plants & some (the Ivy & Privet would be impossible, and the Ligustrom serves as a major shade bush for them). I make sure I NEVER touch these plants because my birds think ANYTHING from my hands must be food, and they will eat instantly.

The "hot" chicken manure seems to "control" the spread of the Ivy somewhat-- I regard Ivy as a scourge!

Also, I have not planted any such plants in the run as all this was growing there from previous owners. The Calla Lillies, Foxgloves, Mother-in-law, Hyacinths, Japonicas, Lilly of the Valley, Onion, Tomato plants-- I have planted all these BUT not anywhere near my chicken run. Again, I try not to worry about all of it. Chris

#69145 - 05/14/08 06:35 AM Re: Toxic Plants
Conbo Offline
Chick

Loc: New York
Thank you..
I have a "run" so to speak.. I built a nice pen fully enclosed with a small dog house type houe in it. I cleared that all out of any plants because I got too nervous. I am not going to plant some grass seeds in it, and clover.. just to give the duck some natural green while it is in there.
I am planning to keep it in the pen only when we are not home and overnight.
I cannot clear my entire property.. and truth be told.. I have no idea what plant is what other than the basic common ones.
I guess I will just run with it, like you did with your chickens.
I dont think I have any of those really toxic plants.
I am also going to NOT touch ANY plant.. lest my duckling sees that and thinks "food!"
Thank you for your responses.
Oh.. an I also view Ivy as a scourge! shocked ) I try to rip it out where it grows along my fence almost daily.

#69146 - 05/14/08 03:51 PM Re: Toxic Plants
Rogo Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Arizona
'Generally,' critters won't eat what's bad if they have good food available.

Some plants are toxic at some times of the year but not at other times.

In some areas the Ag Extension office will go out to your place at no charge to check out your land and tell you if anything is toxic to critters.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/deserthills123/NoNAISChickenBrown200.png

#69147 - 05/15/08 08:34 PM Re: Toxic Plants
C. G. McCary Offline
Coop Keeper

I've also read {somewhere which is always suspect] that poultry will sometimes eat the toxic green if they are deprived of good greens in their diet-- can't vouch for its truthfulness though!

From my own observation, it seems the chicken uses its beak and is maybe testing the texture or "feel" of things it picks up so maybe that's how they discern the bad plants from the good ones.

#69148 - 05/21/08 10:14 AM Re: Toxic Plants
Real Chic Offline
Chick

Loc: Canada
Holly berries arent toxic to birds, I dont know about chickens though. They are however toxic to animals. Something about the acid in a birds stomach , I dont know but the wild birds devour my holly berries on my 2 huge holly bushes and the same birds will keep coming for a long time , so I know it doesnt kill them, also I read its ok for them online.

#69149 - 05/21/08 12:33 PM Re: Toxic Plants
C. G. McCary Offline
Coop Keeper

Some wild birds can & do eat them. However, any and all information I have ever seen indicate they are toxic to chickens for whatever reason. I have noticed mine do not eat them and I'm not going to pick them and throw the berries to them as if they are food either. If anyone has a different experience, like, "my chickens eat them and no ill effect," then I'd like to hear that-- I then wouldn't worry so much about them-- as it is, I try and cut the bunches of holly berries -- I do not get them all. Also, in cutting them, many spill onto the ground.

Poke berries are also eaten by mockingbirds and catbirds voraciously. However, I understand that they too, are toxic to chickens. I don't let them get to the size of producing berries anymore but poke weed sprouts up constantly-- I've noticed the birds leave these completely alone.
Chris

#69150 - 05/22/08 06:15 AM Re: Toxic Plants
J. Meyer Offline
Chicken

Loc: South Dakota
I'd worry much more about predators and neighbor's dogs than about toxic plants. I've never seen poulry that would eat poisonous plants if they have access to "good" food. However, I've lost many birds to any number of predators.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn