Topic Options
#69276 - 10/03/04 01:33 PM brown eggs from Ameraucana
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just got egg number two from my 5 month old Ameraucana! I was surprised to see that they are coming out brown, I guess she is too much of a mutt for green eggs. She seems very distraught before she lays, then totally normal after. Anyway, this is my first egg-sperience. It is so great! laugh

#69277 - 10/03/04 03:49 PM Re: brown eggs from Ameraucana
Eowyn Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: California
Chickadee, If you got her from a hatchery, they typically sell "easter eggers" which basically are a mixbreed that usually lays blue or green eggs, but since they are "muts" they can lay any color. Mine have layed from brown, to blue, to army green, to white. laugh

#69278 - 10/06/04 08:36 PM Re: brown eggs from Ameraucana
Anonymous
Unregistered

yes, Eowyn is right. Easter Eggers lay almost any color and thats why they are called 'Easter Eggers'. not 'any' color but they do lay quite a few diffrent colors. the most common egg from a easter egger is Blue or Green.

#69279 - 10/09/04 06:15 AM Re: brown eggs from Ameraucana
Anonymous
Unregistered

Morning!
I have 3 Ameracanas (from McMurray). They luckily all lave a green or green-blue egg. It is funny, one of them makes the biggest ruckus before she lays and egg. About 15-20 minutes before. Friends have asked if she is trapped or something. Nope! She is just letting me know.
Squawk

#69280 - 10/10/04 10:31 AM Re: brown eggs from Ameraucana
Anonymous
Unregistered

You know, I did not get them from a hatchery, they were sort of an impulse buy at the local feed store. So, I am not too surprised that my Ameraucana is laying brown. They are small, but tasty! I think my buff orp has layed one because I found a really big brown egg recently. My goodness, I had no idea that chickens make so much noise! In the mornings, and especially before laying, they are noisy. The orp just started the "buk, buk, bukgok!" sound. It is hilarious! laugh

#69281 - 10/10/04 01:59 PM Re: brown eggs from Ameraucana
Anonymous
Unregistered

the egg will be small at first but after she has been laying for quite some time the eggs will start to get larger and she will also start to lay more. mine were all small at first as well.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn