Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#69303 - 03/07/04 03:45 PM Signs of spring
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
Most of you probably know about Buckey Chuck and Punxsutawney Phil. The weather forcasting groundhogs from OH and PA. Well I can tell you with certainty that spring is here in Ohio now. How? My rooster told me...LOL! The rest of the year he is tame as can be cool , but come spring he is feisty eek . If I so much as reach down to touch him he turns sideways and pecks me. Nothing changes his mind till the hormones settle down and spring is past wink . Wishing you all a good day smile !

Bill

#69304 - 03/07/04 04:20 PM Re: Signs of spring
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well for us Aussies, we started autumn or 'fall' at the start of March, the reverse to your seasons. I never noticed my rooster acting different according to the seasons, but my rooster did used to peck, but only when he was young. Anyway, have a good Spring, even though I don't know whether yours is hot or not. confused laugh

#69305 - 03/07/04 07:15 PM Re: Signs of spring
Lacey Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Pennsylvania
I have noticed Big Red being more...hormonally enraged, in the last few days whe i let the chickens out. He runs after the girls and trys to get as many as possible (usually none because they all run from him screaming) before i get to him and make him stop.

#69306 - 03/08/04 07:57 AM Re: Signs of spring
Bruce Smith Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Michigan
There has been more than 2 1/2 feet of snow in the past two weeks here, but the roof drips every day, which is more than we could say a month ago. I don't think it's been below 15 degrees for two weeks, which means spring is coming here, too, but is taking its time. The ducks are staying on the paths because that's the only place they can go without climbing up on about 2 feet of snow cover. Their pen area looks like a snow fort.

#69307 - 03/08/04 08:57 AM Re: Signs of spring
Anonymous
Unregistered

A snow fort! laugh That brings a funny image to mind!

Well, I have definitley noticed the hormones raging around here! I have a Rouen drake that chases the rooster until the roo goes into the coop, a hen that started attacking the drake, removed drake only to have the roo attack the banty ducks! Replaced drake, removed hormonally challenged witchie chicken and things are harmonious again - for the time being... :rolleyes: laugh

And after weeks of winter storm after winter storm, our temps suddenly came up into the 60's and low 70's this week!! We won't be down near freezing at night all week! Yippee!! Can't help but wonder if this is permanent...we're probably due for a couple more winter storms yet, but right now I am enjoying being fooled into thinking spring is here to stay! I really feel for you guys way north that have to deal with the harsher winters and longer thaws - I couldn't do it! So Cal at 4300 ft. is the most winter I can take! Our family is off this morning to play in the snow that is still in the higher mountains above us before it melts!!!
laugh

#69308 - 03/08/04 07:07 PM Re: Signs of spring
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
Yep, spring is on the horizon, Bill. Let's see...the signs around here are some cockfighting, but so far nothing serious. A little green showing up on the ground and buds on most of the trees. A broody hen sittin' on 11 eggs. And seedlings popping up under florescent lights in one of our spare bedrooms. Yeah, that time of year is almost here!

Susie

#69309 - 03/09/04 08:52 AM Re: Signs of spring
Anonymous
Unregistered

:p Japanese plum trees beginning bloom. Crocus, daffodils and rosemary in bloom. 70 degrees F yesterday and sun through the weekend. Nothing can beat spring in Oregon. Another week or two and the plant colors will be outrageous, blinding many an eye. And, of course, a very randy cockerel!!

#69310 - 03/09/04 10:08 AM Re: Signs of spring
Anonymous
Unregistered

I suppose spring is a ways off here.Our roosters are not acting randy at all.The hens that have for the last 5 years gone broody by the end of feb.are not showing interest and I'v yet to see a robin.

#69311 - 03/10/04 05:10 AM Re: Signs of spring
Anonymous
Unregistered

My roo's hormones are definately in flux. He has been a little more agressive than usual towards me when I go into the coop. I did what some here suggested and grabbed his comb and pulled his head down. He struggled a bit then gave up. And I did have(note past tense) young shoots starting up from my day lillies and other plants this past weekend until THE CHICKENS found them and ATE THEM ALL!!! mad :rolleyes: They are so desperate for greens that they think anything is fair game, in spite of the lettuce and salad greens they get from the store. :rolleyes: :p Cedewynne

#69312 - 03/11/04 09:02 AM Re: Signs of spring
Anonymous
Unregistered

Signs of spring in upstate NY: people saying "Looks like spring!" and then it snows that evening so everything's a winter wonderland -again. (happened 3/7) Now, it's all melting, again, and we see tiger lily shoots popping up from the mud. Also, I saw a bobcat in my front yard yesterday poking around in the bushes.

Neighbors we haven't seen since Thanksgiving are coming out of hibernation. And the ducks, let's just say they're in full swing. (btw, saw at least 100 robins during the weekend of the national bird watch). And, how could I forget...muddy paw prints all over the kitchen floor daily.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn