Topic Options
#69455 - 07/15/08 09:34 AM inedible eggs?
Chickie Poo Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Virginia
At what point does an egg become inedible? I have a broody that is very persistent. The nest boxes are devoid of shavings, providing a hard surface to discourage the broodiness. But whenever the girls lay eggs, this broody decides that it's HER nest and starts to set on them. There are days when I"m gone from 5 am till 6 pm. That's up to 13 hours of possible setting. I've been tossing these eggs because I'm concerned about eating them. I had tossing so many eggs, but the thought of eating one that has begun it's developmental cycle,... well yuk.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
C

#69456 - 07/15/08 12:24 PM Re: inedible eggs?
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Not to worry, break them in a bowl before slipping in the frying pan. You will see that they are clear and undeveloped. That is not long enough to make them look questionable (yet still perfectly edible). There is nothing harmful in those eggs, just our possible visual rejection. CJR

#69457 - 07/15/08 05:30 PM Re: inedible eggs?
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
I'm assuming you have a rooster. Without a rooster that hen can set until the cows come home and all that egg will ever be is...an egg.

I know, you are thinking, gee that egg was awfully warm for a long time under that hen, not exactly refrigeration. And yet, they are just fine for eating after 10 or 15 hours under hen. I thought you were going to ask about 10 or 15 DAYS under hen. Those are the eggs I would toss into the bush. smile

#69458 - 07/16/08 05:52 AM Re: inedible eggs?
Chickie Poo Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Virginia
Thanks, CJR. I'll keep them from now on. I always crack into a bowl first, just in case. That way it doesn't ruin a whole recipe.

Uno, yes, I have a rooster. I've already hatched out a few clutches this year, so I know they are most likely fertile. smile And yes, you're right. I was thinking that the eggs were awfully warm, but that's good to know about time. I just didn't know if it could start the process, being under there all day.

Thanks to both of you for the info!

C

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn