Topic Options
#69474 - 08/12/05 04:01 PM Adelaide
Chickie Poo Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Virginia
I'm not sure what happened. She was fine last night, fine this morning, ate with everyone else this morning and sometime today layed an egg. But when we got home from work tonight, Adelaide had died. Nothing visible, no injury.

She was the one that all along, I thought was agressive, but turned out she just wanted to be near me. She wasn't chasing me, she was running to be near me. And even though I told myself not to, she was the one I ended up getting attached to. Thanks for listening.

C

#69475 - 08/12/05 04:40 PM Re: Adelaide
David T. Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Australia
That is sooo sad! She sounded like a wonderful hen. Sorry about your loss. David

#69476 - 08/12/05 05:16 PM Re: Adelaide
Rack Offline
Flock Leader

I have one or two that come when I call them by name and it heart breaking when your attached and they die especially when it seems like for no reason. Sorry for your loss. Robin

#69477 - 08/12/05 06:26 PM Re: Adelaide
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am very sorry to hear of your loss. I haven't ever lost a Chicken yet but I have had a few deaths with my other animals and its always very hard. again I am so sorry.

#69478 - 08/12/05 07:31 PM Re: Adelaide
Chickie Poo Offline
Coop Cleaner

Thank you everyone, for your kind words. She was pretty cool - and I'll miss her.

C

#69479 - 08/16/05 10:10 AM Re: Adelaide
J. Henderson Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: New York
We have an Adelaide, too -- Addled Adelaide, to be precise. She's a New Hampshire Red and has raised two broods of chicks. She seemed a bit scatter-brained as a pullet, hence the name, but settled down after mother-hen-hood. We are worried about her now at age 4+, as she has become a bit more addled again. Feeling threatened by other hens, but without a mark on her, she spends a lot of time in nest boxes. I'm afraid she might be the next one I have to cull.

#69480 - 08/16/05 05:30 PM Re: Adelaide
H. Cote Offline
Bantam

Loc: Massachusetts
Dear ChickiPoo,
We are very sorry for your loss. We are the ones who lost Mrs. Norris last night to a predator and you were helpful suggesting we try and put the chicks with Doris. I hope it helps you to know that others empathize with your loss. We love ALL of our "babies" too.
Heidi & Tryon

#69481 - 08/17/05 06:17 AM Re: Adelaide
Chickie Poo Offline
Coop Cleaner

It's funny. We named our first hens (Cali whites) with A names. Adelaide and Abigail. This second crew (RIR)is Betty, Bertha, and Bonnie. Hubby thinks I'm nuts. The roosters are Buster and Buster. Mainly because they are ornery. One of the 'Busters' was originally 'Arnice'. But well.. she turned out to be a he.

J - It's a good name - Good luck with your Adelaide. I hope it's just a phase, and that it will pass.

HC - Good luck with your chicks - I hope they all get along. Thank you for the kind words.

C

#69482 - 08/18/05 08:36 AM Re: Adelaide
Lynne Offline
Chick

Loc: California
I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I too, had a sweet Marans pullet who had just started laying. Last week we had terrible thunder & lightening & I "think" it scared her to death. They were in the hen house & I had just checked on them. Then an hour later after the rain had slowed I went down to check again. There she was dead on the floor...still warm without a mark on her. It is so distressing to lose one of our babies. My heart is with you.

Lynne

#69483 - 08/18/05 10:16 AM Re: Adelaide
Chickie Poo Offline
Coop Cleaner

The poor thing! I sometimes wonder if they can be scared that badly. Ours seem to handle the storms without too much trouble, but they do stay inside. I'm sorry that you lost one of your girls. You're right - it is distressing.
Take care,
C

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn