Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#69753 - 05/03/07 03:53 PM Re: Melamine: Dogs, Cats, Swine - Now Chooks
RuffEnuff Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Australia
makes you wander why labels on feed bags say not to be fed to any other animals? these things can get into food chains so easily. the birds are always in the dog dry food bowls and picking up left overs. if they made the feed safe in the first place we would not have to worry about other animals eating them. it is illegal in australia to sell fresh milk in any form because of health issues of the "what might happen" yet situations like this are totally ignored and the effects potentially much greater.

interesting the kidney failure. seems vets often blame simple things like dogs eating chook poo and forgetting about the dog food coming from china.

sadly the packets of animal foods do not state country of origin of ingredients.
k.

#69754 - 08/29/07 11:17 PM Re: Melamine: Dogs, Cats, Swine - Now Chooks
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
First it was melamine in the cat and dog food, then it was lead in our kids toys, highly inflamable pyjamas that were supposed to be flame resistant, formeldehyde in our clothing and now antifreeze in our toothpaste! What's next? Plutonium in our noodles?

Poisoned pet food

If our pets and our kids are not safe from these contaminated imports from China, just how safe are our chooks? And can you be sure that the meal and grain you buy are locally grown?

Don't be fooled into thinking the wheat that comes from the Netherlands is safe for hens. They are trans-shipping Chinese wheat. I wonder what nasty toxins are in it?

One of our minor (non government) parties is pushing for the manditory labelling of single content, country of origin labels.

RuffEnuff, at least your Aussie food safety people seem to be concerned. Our NZFSH group want to lift the bar so to speak to allow higher levels of toxins!

#69755 - 08/30/07 12:44 AM Re: Melamine: Dogs, Cats, Swine - Now Chooks
Rogo16 Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Arizona
With Cargill buying out some feed mills here, they've just reformulated the poultry feed so I didn't buy it. Somehow it doesn't make sense to buy feed from a company that's in partnership with Monsanto!

Feel safer not buying any feed where the manufacturer imports ingredients from China - which leaves out just about all the name brands.

Cargill puts out a good portion of our foods in the grocery stores. Seems that anything processed isn't safe to consume.

#69756 - 08/30/07 03:03 AM Re: Melamine: Dogs, Cats, Swine - Now Chooks
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
A kitchen garden and a few fruit trees will lessen your exposure. smile

#69757 - 08/30/07 06:01 AM Re: Melamine: Dogs, Cats, Swine - Now Chooks
Upback Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Maine
Yes, they say no danger to humans because the melamine will be "diluted". What about biomagnification?? Maybe the melamine becomes concentrated? One more reason I'm happy to feed whole grains and seeds, at least you look at something and it is what it is, not some pellet that you really have no idea ( especially with the vague ingredients ) what went into it. I agree, it's crazy they pasturize our milk and juice for our "safety" yet all this adulterated food is ok. People are making money.

There was recently a study done here in Maine on certain chemicals found in people. Even those who religiously eat organic had high levels of chemicals (PBDE flame retardents, perflourinated chemicals from Teflon, Bisphenol-A from water bottles). We do what we can, but there seems to be no real way to protect ourselves from the harmful chemicals in things we all use on a daily basis. If you are trying to be sure your food and water are clean, there are still things that are absorbed through the skin. This is one instance where I wish I had enough $ to make sure that everything going in or on our bodies was 100 % natural, but that's not the case. Our mattress is no feather bed with cotton exterior. I'm sure it's chock full of flame retardents. It's discouraging. On the bright side, at least I know that what kills me will not be the spontaneous combustion of my mattress while I'm sleeping!

#69758 - 08/30/07 07:25 PM Re: Melamine: Dogs, Cats, Swine - Now Chooks
Bluetick Offline
Bantam

Loc: New York
For what it's worth, I never got a response from Cargill! Guess I'll send them another email.

#69759 - 08/17/08 04:15 AM Re: Melamine: Dogs, Cats, Swine - Now Chooks
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
It's been almost 12 months since this topic was last added too.I doubt much has changed in the toxic additives that companies put in animal feed. I feel kinda mad that I have been caught out myself on a little ignorance here. I've been buying a brand of margarine that had no trans fats listed in it. Good thought I, most similar products list 2% trans fat, and knowing I should avoid those, I buy this other brand. Now I discover the real reason my cholesterol is higher than it should be. The company I have been buying from, do not advertise trans fats in their product because there is no regulation to do so and I find to my annoyance that there is in fact 6%! That's far higher than the competitors I sought to avoid! The sooner mandatory labelling, of all foodstuff additives and countries of origin products, are brought in, the better. Think I'll go back to good old butter in moderation. Better the ingredients one knows than the poisons one doesn't.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn