Coop Keeper

Loc: Arizona
From today's NY Times

http://tinyurl.com/32fhfo

U.S. Says Some Chicken Feed Tainted
By ALEXEI BARRIONUEVO
Published: May 1, 2007

CHICAGO, April 30 — Government investigators said Monday that byproducts from
pet food contaminated with wheat gluten imported from China were used in chicken
feed on some farms in Indiana.

The latest revelation came as part of the investigation into imported rice
protein concentrate and wheat gluten that have been found to contain melamine
and melamine-related compounds. Pet food contaminated with melamine has killed
at least 16 cats and dogs and sickened thousands of others.

The Agriculture Department and the Food and Drug Administration said that some
30 broiler poultry farms and eight breeder poultry farms in Indiana had received
contaminated feed in early February and fed it to chickens within days of
receiving it. All of those potentially affected chickens have since been
processed.

The two agencies said they believed the likelihood of illness to people eating
contaminated chicken was low because the contamination was most likely diluted.
Without evidence of harm to humans, the agencies said they were not issuing
recalls of any of the processed chicken products.

The Agriculture Department and the F.D.A. revealed last week that eight pork
producers in seven states had purchased adulterated feed. Some 6,000 hogs were
quarantined as a result in California, Kansas, North Carolina, New York,
Oklahoma, South Carolina and Utah. Authorities are also in contact with a feed
mill in Missouri that might have received adulterated products.

On Monday, Tyson Foods acknowledged that it had sent nearly 200 hogs that may
have eaten feed containing melamine to a pork-processing plant. But the F.D.A.
and the U.S.D.A. said they were not concerned that those hogs posed any risk to
people, according to Bloomberg News.

#69744 - 05/02/07 03:42 PM Re: Melamine: Dogs, Cats, Swine - Now Chooks
RuffEnuff Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Australia
excuse my ignorance (in a small voice), what is melamine and how does it affect animals and how is it passed down the food chain?

it would be interesting to know what other, 'lesser' toxic, more difficult to find products sneak in.
k.

#69745 - 05/02/07 08:58 PM Re: Melamine: Dogs, Cats, Swine - Now Chooks
Caladenia Offline
Chicken

hi ruff,
this may help
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-melamine.htm
its found in a lot of particle wood products i think.

#69746 - 05/02/07 10:01 PM Re: Melamine: Dogs, Cats, Swine - Now Chooks
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Quote:
The two agencies said they believed the likelihood of illness to people eating
contaminated chicken was low because the contamination was most likely diluted.
Now haven't we heard that before! DDT was not supposed to be dangerous, but it got into the human food chain. There was also a famous case of dairy cows being poisoned with contaminated feed, somewhere in the east of USA. Can't remember the exact details but I recall a documentary about it because the authorities tried to cover it up. It was traced back to storage practises in the feedstore. I remember the implications being horrific because the famers wife was breast feeding an infant. Their whole herd was destroyed and buried in a deep trench.
While USA and other countries are taking this melamine contamination seriously, the same cannot be said of NZ
Quote:
The Green Party is calling on the New Zealand Food Safety Authority to conduct urgent tests on potentially contaminated food and pet food imported from China to ensure they do not contain industrial chemicals such as melamine, as has been found in the USA.

“New Zealand consumers need to be reassured that pet food and other food products such as corn gluten, corn meal, soy protein, rice bran and concentrate imported from China are safe,” Ms Kedgley says.

Following the deaths and illness of thousands of American pets, it was revealed last month that some pet food and potentially also food additives exported from China were contaminated with the chemical melamine.

“New Zealand imports around $450,000 worth of pet food from China, as well as $700,000 worth of wheat gluten. It is possible that contaminated products may have made their way here after processing in other countries. But without testing by NZFSA, New Zealand consumers will not know,” Ms Kedgley says.

The US Food and Drug Administration has launched a wide-ranging investigation to ascertain how widespread the problem is. It has also recalled more than 100 brands of pet food and has begun testing imported food additives from China intended for human consumption such as wheat gluten, corn gluten, cornmeal, rice bran and rice protein.

The Canadian government has also announced its intention to seize shipments of products from China, including wheat and corn glutens and soy and rice proteins, and test to ensure they are safe.

“By contrast, the New Zealand Food Safety Authority has done nothing, except announce it will keep a 'watching brief' on the issue.”

“In response to an inquiry, NZFSA admitted that it is not testing either pet or human food in relation to the contamination, despite earlier comments in the New Zealand Herald to the contrary. It has failed to take swift and stringent action over this potentially far reaching and dangerous contamination,” Ms Kedgley says

"The United States Food and Drug administration has shown up the New Zealand Food Safety Authority’s typically lacklustre and laisser faire approach to consumer safety. I am calling for the NZFSA to follow the lead of the FDA and proactively test all imported protein concentrates.”
Sue Kedgely is an MP for the NZ Green Party

#69747 - 05/03/07 04:21 AM Re: Melamine: Dogs, Cats, Swine - Now Chooks
Rogo16 Offline
Coop Keeper

China's been adding melamine to their feed for 15 years:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18400433/

Animal feed in China often contains mild toxin

Thousands of hogs in U.S. who may have eaten tainted product destroyed.

The mildly toxic chemical melamine is commonly added to animal feed in China, a manager of a feed company and one of the chemical's producers said, a process that boosts the feed's sales value but risks introducing the chemical into meat eaten by humans.

BEIJING - In the United States, it is feared as a killer of cats and dogs and a potential threat to humans.

Yet in China, the mildly toxic chemical melamine is commonly used in animal feed and is even praised by some customers, according to the managers of a feed company and one of the chemical’s producers.

“Using the proper quantity of melamine will not harm the animals,” said Wang Jianhui, manager of the Kaiyuan Protein Feed company in the northern city of Shijiazhuang. “Our products are very safe, for sure,” Wang added.

Feeding animals food containing melamine risks introducing the chemical into the food chain through their meat or eggs. Scientists say there is no evidence that people could get sick, but say they know too little about how the chemical reacts with other substances to be sure it is safe.

Chinese wheat gluten containing melamine was blamed in a wave of pet deaths in March due to kidney failure. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration investigated, and nearly 100 brands of pet food made with the ingredient were ordered recalled. Adding the chemical to food is illegal under American law, and China’s government last week said it was banning its use in food products.

Usually used to make fertilizer and plastics, melamine has no nutritional value but is rich in nitrogen, meaning it raises the nitrogen level of feed. That makes products appear to be higher in protein, and can lead to higher prices for feed for stock animals such as pigs, chickens, and fish, as well as for household pets such as cats and dogs.

James Kapin, a member of the American Chemical Society’s executive committee on health and safety, said testing on rats and mice has shown melamine to be toxic only at extraordinarily high levels.

However, he said manufacturing the pet food or the animals’ own metabolism may have changed the melamine into something more lethal. Maybe a “combination of all these things,” he said, explains why relatively low doses of melamine resulted in kidney failure.

In the past, Kapin said testing for nitrogen was a “quick and dirty way to screen for protein.” He said several companies have said they would no longer rely on nitrogen tests to determine protein content, and instead would do more expensive tests that look for protein itself.

However, Kaiyuan Protein Feed’s Wang said his customers either don’t know or aren’t concerned about the melamine.

“We’ve been running the melamine feed business for about 15 years and receiving positive responses from our customers,” Wang told The Associated Press.

No data on health effects

Some pet food was shipped to hog farms in several U.S. states for use as feed and was later discovered to have another ingredient, rice protein concentrate, that had been imported from China and was tainted with melamine. Thousands of U.S. hogs that were fed contaminated feed were ordered destroyed to prevent adulterated meat from reaching consumers.

The contaminated gluten was traced to a trading company based in eastern Jiangsu province, Xuzhou Anying Biologic Technology Development Co., and a firm in the nearby province of Shandong, Binzhou Futian Bio-technology Co. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has blocked wheat and rice gluten from both companies pending an investigation.

China’s government said last week it would allow FDA investigators to visit.

Xuzhou Anying managers have said they have no idea how the melamine got into the gluten, which they claim was acquired from other firms and sold to a third company which exported it to the United States.

However, suspicions were raised when the company was found to have posted an online advertisement in March seeking to buy melamine.

Ji Denghui, manager of Sanming Dinghui Chemical Trading Co. in the eastern province of Fujian, said animal food companies are some of his best customers.

“A lot of animal food companies buy melamine from us to add in the animal feed,” Ji said. “This can lower the production cost and increase nitrogen levels.”

Ji played down the risk, saying that despite China’s repeated food safety scares, the companies could be trusted to use melamine safely.

“I believe it won’t do any harm if there is only very small amount,” Ji said. “Otherwise, those companies could not do that.”

#69748 - 05/03/07 06:00 AM Re: Melamine: Dogs, Cats, Swine - Now Chooks
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
This whole thing frustrates the crud outta me.

#69749 - 05/03/07 08:50 AM Re: Melamine: Dogs, Cats, Swine - Now Chooks
Speckled Hen Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Georgia
My coffee mug is made of melamine. Seems pretty bizarre that anyone would add that substance to feed on purpose!

#69750 - 05/03/07 12:52 PM Re: Melamine: Dogs, Cats, Swine - Now Chooks
Bluetick Offline
Bantam

Loc: New York
I emailed Cargill a couple of days ago inquiring about the sources of the ingredients used in the poultry feed I use. I also asked them to be more specific about the ingredient list that includes "grain products, plant protein products, processed grain by-products," etc.

The initial response was an acknowledgement they had received my inquiry. Will post any other response. The feed I use for my ducks, geese, and chickens is Agway Game and Turkey Finisher and Maintenance, but apparently is manufactured by Cargill Animal Nutrition.

#69751 - 05/03/07 01:46 PM Re: Melamine: Dogs, Cats, Swine - Now Chooks
Speckled Hen Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Georgia
I used to live very close to the Cargill Processing Plant in Dayton, Ohio. Whew, let me tell you, the stench that wafted over my neighborhood from time to time was like I was drowning in a bag of dogfood! BTW, Cargill is a big supporter of the NAIS agenda and makes Nutrena feeds as well as Agway. And dont you just love those vague ingredient lists? I'd be interested to know what you find out from them.

#69752 - 05/03/07 02:45 PM Re: Melamine: Dogs, Cats, Swine - Now Chooks
Rogo16 Offline
Coop Keeper

Cargill recently bought out the private feed mills here (Arizona). The feed stores like it since they get a wider variety of feeds. I hate it 'cause I know what Cargill is.

The feed is still in the original owner's bags. They claim they'll be changed when they run out of bags. Yeah, sure. It's been months.

#69753 - 05/03/07 03:53 PM Re: Melamine: Dogs, Cats, Swine - Now Chooks
RuffEnuff Offline
Ruler of the Roost

makes you wander why labels on feed bags say not to be fed to any other animals? these things can get into food chains so easily. the birds are always in the dog dry food bowls and picking up left overs. if they made the feed safe in the first place we would not have to worry about other animals eating them. it is illegal in australia to sell fresh milk in any form because of health issues of the "what might happen" yet situations like this are totally ignored and the effects potentially much greater.

interesting the kidney failure. seems vets often blame simple things like dogs eating chook poo and forgetting about the dog food coming from china.

sadly the packets of animal foods do not state country of origin of ingredients.
k.

#69754 - 08/29/07 11:17 PM Re: Melamine: Dogs, Cats, Swine - Now Chooks
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

First it was melamine in the cat and dog food, then it was lead in our kids toys, highly inflamable pyjamas that were supposed to be flame resistant, formeldehyde in our clothing and now antifreeze in our toothpaste! What's next? Plutonium in our noodles?

Poisoned pet food

If our pets and our kids are not safe from these contaminated imports from China, just how safe are our chooks? And can you be sure that the meal and grain you buy are locally grown?

Don't be fooled into thinking the wheat that comes from the Netherlands is safe for hens. They are trans-shipping Chinese wheat. I wonder what nasty toxins are in it?

One of our minor (non government) parties is pushing for the manditory labelling of single content, country of origin labels.

RuffEnuff, at least your Aussie food safety people seem to be concerned. Our NZFSH group want to lift the bar so to speak to allow higher levels of toxins!

#69755 - 08/30/07 12:44 AM Re: Melamine: Dogs, Cats, Swine - Now Chooks
Rogo16 Offline
Coop Keeper

With Cargill buying out some feed mills here, they've just reformulated the poultry feed so I didn't buy it. Somehow it doesn't make sense to buy feed from a company that's in partnership with Monsanto!

Feel safer not buying any feed where the manufacturer imports ingredients from China - which leaves out just about all the name brands.

Cargill puts out a good portion of our foods in the grocery stores. Seems that anything processed isn't safe to consume.

#69756 - 08/30/07 03:03 AM Re: Melamine: Dogs, Cats, Swine - Now Chooks
Jocelyn Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
A kitchen garden and a few fruit trees will lessen your exposure. smile

#69757 - 08/30/07 06:01 AM Re: Melamine: Dogs, Cats, Swine - Now Chooks
Upback Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Maine
Yes, they say no danger to humans because the melamine will be "diluted". What about biomagnification?? Maybe the melamine becomes concentrated? One more reason I'm happy to feed whole grains and seeds, at least you look at something and it is what it is, not some pellet that you really have no idea ( especially with the vague ingredients ) what went into it. I agree, it's crazy they pasturize our milk and juice for our "safety" yet all this adulterated food is ok. People are making money.

There was recently a study done here in Maine on certain chemicals found in people. Even those who religiously eat organic had high levels of chemicals (PBDE flame retardents, perflourinated chemicals from Teflon, Bisphenol-A from water bottles). We do what we can, but there seems to be no real way to protect ourselves from the harmful chemicals in things we all use on a daily basis. If you are trying to be sure your food and water are clean, there are still things that are absorbed through the skin. This is one instance where I wish I had enough $ to make sure that everything going in or on our bodies was 100 % natural, but that's not the case. Our mattress is no feather bed with cotton exterior. I'm sure it's chock full of flame retardents. It's discouraging. On the bright side, at least I know that what kills me will not be the spontaneous combustion of my mattress while I'm sleeping!

#69758 - 08/30/07 07:25 PM Re: Melamine: Dogs, Cats, Swine - Now Chooks
Bluetick Offline
Bantam

Loc: New York
For what it's worth, I never got a response from Cargill! Guess I'll send them another email.

#69759 - 08/17/08 04:15 AM Re: Melamine: Dogs, Cats, Swine - Now Chooks
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

It's been almost 12 months since this topic was last added too.I doubt much has changed in the toxic additives that companies put in animal feed. I feel kinda mad that I have been caught out myself on a little ignorance here. I've been buying a brand of margarine that had no trans fats listed in it. Good thought I, most similar products list 2% trans fat, and knowing I should avoid those, I buy this other brand. Now I discover the real reason my cholesterol is higher than it should be. The company I have been buying from, do not advertise trans fats in their product because there is no regulation to do so and I find to my annoyance that there is in fact 6%! That's far higher than the competitors I sought to avoid! The sooner mandatory labelling, of all foodstuff additives and countries of origin products, are brought in, the better. Think I'll go back to good old butter in moderation. Better the ingredients one knows than the poisons one doesn't.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn