Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#70048 - 03/15/08 05:44 PM What to do about NAIS ?
D. Honour Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: New York
I got in the mail today an registration certificate from NAIS,which I did not ask for.Everything I have read points to the many negatives with this program. What can be done about this being forced upon us? Does the "OPT OUT " procedure work?

(On feathersite)
USDA Announces An "Opt Out" Procedure For NAIS

#70049 - 03/15/08 08:01 PM Re: What to do about NAIS ?
Rogo16 Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Arizona
The USDA has been using some illegal means to register folk's premise without their knowledge.

I personally wouldn't opt out; you're telling them you've received their mail and giving them your info.

Toss it in the trash, even tho they claim you have to return it.

http://nonais.org/ is a good way to keep up with what's going on. There's new info almost daily.

#70050 - 03/15/08 08:48 PM Re: What to do about NAIS ?
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Our Montana Governor is one of 4 States that are not accepting the personal Real ID card for boarding airlines!! Drivers License is all that is needed. I pray that he can hold out, even though the Federal Government will withhold $$$ for highways and schools! Actually, it is the Homeland Security, that will handle it, and over our States Rights, by blackmail-- I applaud Governor Schweitzer!!And if your State is Maine, New Hampshire, South Carolina, support your Governor's refusal to comply, so you will not have to get a RealID to board an airplane (what will it be used for NEXT?) They have asked for an extension to negotiate this indignity! I remember in 1959 when traveling Eurail across Europe. The train stopped at the border of every country we crossed, to check passports or PERSONAL ID card of all passengers.

Now, everyone crosses most European country borders with no checking, no stopping, and no changing money. Europe is just as "threatened" by terrorists as "we are". Return to cold war times will not make us "safer". It has been pointed out that we cannot walk safely down some U.S. city streets, night or day! (home grown U.S. terrorists ARE a threat==and are not contained-how many children and young people are killed by the gangs and hoodlums)? Do you think they will have an ID card? We must risk them! I would feel like those poor refuges in Europe after WWII, if I had to carry an ID card, as they did!!

A useful purpose in ID of our Poultry (from chick to butcher, including chicks that fail to live) is unthinkable and again, an infringement upon keeping poultry--and raising our own food!

Write to your Senators--and join Montana and the 3 other States in resisting "quiet police State people AND animal ID!"

CJR (will probably have to delete this, even though it is vital to our Poultry keeping!!)

#70051 - 03/15/08 11:25 PM Re: What to do about NAIS ?
Rogo16 Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Arizona
Arizona has prohibited NAIS. I've seen other states refuse to follow federal laws, but no other state, as far as I know, has followed my state with NAIS.

#70052 - 03/16/08 01:30 AM Re: What to do about NAIS ?
P. Smith1340 Offline
Chicken

Loc: Oregon
I just Google'd NAIS, I'd never heard of that before. That whole concept is a little frightening! Sooner or later we'll all need to have computer chips implanted or something. I think the Real ID act was aimed more at preventing illegal immigration, but I could be wrong.

#70053 - 03/16/08 01:40 AM Re: What to do about NAIS ?
Blackdotte Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Australia
It's things like this which cause much of the world to fear the US, and the rest to hold it in contempt.
Talk about politicians & civil servants going from infancy to senility. Hope it is never suggested here.

#70054 - 03/16/08 05:42 AM Re: What to do about NAIS ?
D. Honour Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: New York
I am concerned about not being able to ship adult birds,chicks or hatching eggs out of state,if one is not participating. I have for decades been bloodtesting the flock ,so I can sell breeding stock around the country and help fellow breeders. Dan

#70055 - 03/16/08 08:56 AM Re: What to do about NAIS ?
CJR Offline
Coop Master

The fragmented authority for the various regulations by a number of agencies that do not communicate together, is already a problem. Birds not bloodtested can be shipped into Montana, but not Washington (however, the PO does not have any authority to comply) And yet, baby chicks vaccinated for Marek's Disease cannot be mailed into Montana until 2 weeks old (not possible). They cannot live for several days without food and water for the several days it takes to arrive--and are doa. So the hatcheries send only unvaccinated chicks into Montana (some of them are delayed and have poor survival rate). Is this a disease control--and one of the worst diseases for loss of birds??Too late to vaccinate after arrival.
Real ID is now proposed for all for airport security, is to be required soon, as ID to board any flight! Passports are okay, but not drivers license, must have REal ID. Counterfeiters are already at work. This is purely for terrorist control--(scare us in every direction.) This kind of ID is what Montana's Governor is resisting, and only the 4 states have so far refused to comply. It is not in total effect, but will be in a few months. Yes, illegal immigrants were the beginning, largely for southern border illegals, as well as by sea.
After this was proposed for control, then more ideas in other agencies began to be added!

I am old enough to remember when GOLD was taken from private ownership--and that was unimportant compared to the liberties we are slowly losing--one thing at a time! This is not my usual soapbox, but sorry, I have lost my poultry business, not being able to ship birds from my part of the state, any longer--after 40 years of sending and receiving birds,(railway express at first and no longer an option, and having to find other means of delivering a very few, only by kindness of friends who live in places where they can mail! Am I supposed to get old, sitting in a chair and "rocking"? CJR

PS, If I weren't so darn old, I would keep a cow--our milk comes from half a state away, when we used to have 25 small dairy farms in our valley, including our own, milk, cottage cheese, butter, were all processed and distributed locally. Creamery is closed, hatcheries are gone. Now plastic is suspect and of course, I grew up with glass milk bottles-- and now even babies bottles are going back to glass! Every new idea or product is not a good thing! Oh Bother!

#70056 - 03/16/08 09:28 AM Re: What to do about NAIS ?
Bill Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Nevada
Well said, Jean.
" Am I supposed to get old, sitting in a chair and "rocking"? CJR"

YES, thats exactly what they would prefer, but I suggest we do it by 'ROCKING' THEIR WORLD. I am just to darn old to take the crap that is being spoon fed to us.

The problem with the younger generation, and this is NOT a critism of the younger people, is that they are so involved with making a living, they don't have time to "think" (been there, done that")

With moist of the "good ideas" that come up, all you have to do is follow the money to find out WHO it's good for.

This NAIS is not a BAD idea, the problem is that the GOV has historically proven the aren't capable of administering such a plan. A very recent example is Immigration. There has been Immigration Laws, for ever. The GOV has not enforced them & now that it's out of hand, they want a NEW Law - how stupid, but typical.

#70057 - 03/16/08 12:15 PM Re: What to do about NAIS ?
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Thanks, Bill, and I agree NAIS is not all bad, but how it is forecast to include baby chicks at your place and mine, is not a very intelligent collection of information. Think of the numbers of new government employees and office buildings and office equipment that will be required to collect it? That alone is an overwhelming thought! But who is thinkin?

CJR

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn