Topic Options
#70231 - 08/04/05 12:37 PM Are these egg edible?
Spotted Crow Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Massachusetts
I broke open 2 of my hen's eggs and when I went to pour them into the bowl to scramble, the yolks came out whole and were the consistency of partially set jello. I don't think they were older than a couple of months, but that wasn't what I expected for lunch. I gave them to the girls instead.

#70232 - 08/04/05 03:25 PM Re: Are these egg edible?
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Older eggs may have texture changes. They are not turned as hatching eggs are, to keep the yolk centered and it IS "stuck" to the side and so it hangs up and usually breaks when you drop it in a bowl or pan.The yolk coming out whole might indicate some temperature or humidity change, even in the fridge. By two months or so, if they have a change of consistancy--I use them for baking and the rest of the eggs of that date (all my eggs are dated at collection, so I KNOW their age) are hardboiled for the dog--he is a little dog and just gets one or two a day (bantam eggs). I always use the current week's eggs for breakfast.

Your eggs were surely okay to eat, but we might as well be a little fussy, if we have LOTS of them! CJR

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn