Topic Options
#70258 - 11/02/05 09:07 AM An interesting way of sexing chicks!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm reading this amusing book on raising chickens and in it is a suggestion on how to sex chicks. It says this old farmer guy throws his big black hat into the pen with all the young chicks and the "roosters will stand upright with their heads erect and make chirpping warning noises and the hens will stay low and keep silent." The author of the book did say that he never tried this technique so he can't vouch for it's effectiveness!
Anyone out there willing to give it a try? I think mine are still too little to try this with but I will give it a shot when they get a bit bigger!

#70259 - 11/02/05 09:41 AM Re: An interesting way of sexing chicks!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm gonna give it a whirl in the spring when I, (my girls) have babies!

#70260 - 11/02/05 10:05 AM Re: An interesting way of sexing chicks!
Anonymous
Unregistered

When I was trying to figure out my chicks this last spring, I read the same method online. Never tried it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it worked at least half of the time! LOL

#70261 - 11/05/05 04:07 PM Re: An interesting way of sexing chicks!
Anonymous
Unregistered

LOL!! This discussion I have found is almost as heated as how to tell if your un-born baby is male or female.
One lady at a local feed store told me you could tell hem from roosters on day old chicks by laying them on thier back in the palm of your hand. If they flip over automatically...They are roosters. If they lay on thier back with no struggle, they are hens. (I don't know what that says about the little hens morals, lol!).

anyone else heard this one?

#70262 - 11/05/05 08:31 PM Re: An interesting way of sexing chicks!
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Yes and many more "funny " ones. They are ALL correct at least 50% the time! CJR

#70263 - 11/06/05 05:26 AM Re: An interesting way of sexing chicks!
Moderator2 Offline
Administrator
Flock Leader

Loc: Eastern USA
Just be clear to our members who are new to poultry, these are fun stories and may be fun to try, just to see, but definitely not a way to sex chicks.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn