Topic Options
#70342 - 10/08/05 10:49 PM Young to start laying!
Hopenfox Offline
Bantam

Loc: Australia
I was amazed when one of my pullets layed her first egg at only 3 months and 3 weeks old! Her grandmother was a Hy-line, her grandfather was 1 quarter Silkie, 3 quarters unknown. Her mother was bred to a pure Bantam Wyandotte....
Anyone else had pullets start laying this early or earlier???

#70343 - 10/09/05 04:09 PM Re: Young to start laying!
Anonymous
Unregistered

3 months? Wow smile No, mine are usually a little late. My orpington pullets are getting close, and I'm desperate lol laugh

#70344 - 10/10/05 09:32 AM Re: Young to start laying!
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's best to hold pullets back so they don't begin to lay too early. Around 20 weeks is a good time for them to start and if mine start later, I'm just as happy with that. Commercial barns will control the light on their pullets to be sure they don't begin too early, it's not necessarily a good thing.
A very young pullet may not be physically ready to start laying but can if stimulated.
hopenfox, do you have them under electric lights or are you down-under by any chance?

James

#70345 - 10/10/05 10:11 PM Re: Young to start laying!
Hopenfox Offline
Bantam

Loc: Australia
Yes, I'm in Australia and the pullets have been enjoying the beautiful Spring weather. How would I possibly go about 'holding them back'? All of my poultry are locked in sheds at night and spend each day out in their yard or free ranging. I'm much more used to my Silkies that start laying at 5 1/2 months and Pekins at 7 months. The eggs the early pullet laid are tiny - smaller even than a Silkie's first egg and she's laid one every day. Her 2 same-age sisters still haven't started...May-be it's a genetic fluke that she started so early??? They were still being fed grower pellets!

#70346 - 10/11/05 07:52 AM Re: Young to start laying!
Rhea Dean Carter Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Tennessee
I heard about a man who had a Jersey Giant pullet that started laying at 6 months old. He put her in a dark room for a few weeks to stop her from laying.

#70347 - 10/11/05 09:12 AM Re: Young to start laying!
Anonymous
Unregistered

hopenfox:
The only way to hold them back is to control the number of hours of light they receive, especially when they are maturing during spring -the season when daylight is lengthening. In your case, I would not worry about it. You don't have thousands of birds and I doubt that it will cause a lot of trouble. It will likely take a longer time for this bird to get her eggs up to full size. I'm sure the other two pullets will begin to lay soon as well.
I wanted to clarify that it isn't necessarily a good thing when birds start laying too early.
James

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn