Topic Options
#70468 - 03/02/08 07:41 AM Egg Production in Bantam Pullet
P. Smith1340 Offline
Chicken

Loc: Oregon
I have a question about egg production. In a young (5 or 6 month old unknown type of bantam) pullet, is it normal for them to start laying, lay an egg a day for 3 weeks and then quit? Can egg laying be stimulated by a rooster trying to mate with a pullet? I'm puzzled as to what's going on with my little pullet. She's been laying for a while, and religiously one egg every day, and now for the last 3 or 4 days, no egg. I am wondering if my selling the rooster to the feedstore has anything to do with it. I just want to make sure there's nothing wrong with her. Other than the no egg laying, she seems to be eating fine and everything.

#70469 - 03/02/08 08:20 AM Re: Egg Production in Bantam Pullet
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
It IS normal. Many bantam hens will lay about 10-15 eggs and then set. If she has not done that, she may be a non-setter. In this case, she will rest a bit and then lay another "clutch".
The rooster has nothing at all to do with egg laying. (think about it--commercial laying hens lay an egg most every day for a year or more and have NEVER even seen a rooster) Do you have other bantams? If not, she may miss the company, but she may be happier without the commotion.

Is she outside--has she made herself a hidden nest in the shrubry or along a fence line, under the steps or ? Do you hear her cackle, as if she has layed an egg? A little sleuthing can answer this question. Otherwise, not to worry, if it is a break to replenish her system, there will be eggs again in a couple of weeks! Good luck, CJR

#70470 - 03/02/08 03:32 PM Re: Egg Production in Bantam Pullet
P. Smith1340 Offline
Chicken

That's kind of what I figured. I didn't leave the eggs in the coop, so maybe that's why she didn't set. The other two hens are a bigger variety I think. They all hang out together, so I don't think she's lonely. The rooster was horribly aggressive and mean to just her, so I doubt she misses him any. smile

They have a fenced run off of the coop; no place to lay a hidden clutch though, so she must just be taking a break. She clucks like a mother hen trying to gather her chicks, which is kind of funny; but maybe that's just a bantam thing.

#70471 - 03/02/08 04:23 PM Re: Egg Production in Bantam Pullet
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
No, if she is "clucky" like a mother hen, she may indeed have been on the verge of "broody". With bantams, however, it is not necessary to leave any eggs in the nest--they will just sit on an empty nest if it is "time". You can leave an egg or two in the nest box, IF you want her to set and she is still in the cycle?? If she does set on infertile eggs or golf balls or little glass or wooden nest eggs, after about 10 days or two weeks, you can slip baby chicksunder her (4 or 5)from the Feed Store (if they are shipped in as yet)_. Otherwise, she will lay again after a while, not to worry. They are dears, and you will learn their habits! CJR

#70472 - 03/11/08 11:53 AM Re: Egg Production in Bantam Pullet
Harry Offline
Feather

Loc: Ireland
If she is ''clucking'' she wants to set. Put 1 or 2 eggs under her and she will she sit on them and wait and if she becomes very protective she wants to hatch. then put more eggs down if you want the possibility of chicks.
Good luck, Keep us informed.

#70473 - 03/11/08 12:38 PM Re: Egg Production in Bantam Pullet
P. Smith1340 Offline
Chicken

Well, she hasn't laid anymore since then, and even when she was clucky, she didn't set. I left a couple of eggs in the nest, but she was more interested in clucking around the pen. She's too young anyway, and their pen isn't really set up for any more.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn