Topic Options
#70578 - 03/19/08 03:03 PM NPIP questions
Ziggy Offline
Chick

Loc: Indiana
Recently I'm being faced with the problem of having to get my chickens blood tested by a NPIP certified blood tester to be able to cross state lines in order to sell in that state(Illinois).
Apparently a USDA official will need to see the blood test certificate and a state entry permit number in order for anyone out of state to be able to sell poultry in Illinois.
I'm very reluctant to do so for the simple fact that I (and my poultry) will be "on the books". Although NPIP people say that they do not share information with the NAIS people...
Aside from the fact that I'm finding it very difficult to locate a certified blood tester in my area! confused
For the NPIP people out there, how comfortable are you with it ? Am I being overly paranoid about this?
Any input would be appreciated on this

#70579 - 03/19/08 03:16 PM Re: NPIP questions
D. Honour Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: New York
I think they share address lists to locate all livestock producers,or at least cross referenced.

#70580 - 03/20/08 05:31 AM Re: NPIP questions
Angela Stanley Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Missouri
Ziggy
Go to the Website for your state USDA. In most states, the NPIP program is administered by the Dept of Ag. Blood testing is done by them, usually at no cost to the flock owner.
The NPIP program is federal. A directory is produced every year and distributed to members. It tells who breeds what in what state. A valuable resource for breeders and exhibitors alike. I've been a participant for quite a few years.
If you plan on showing your birds....anywhere, you will need to be a participant in this program. To legally (legal being the key word here) ship hatching eggs into other states, you will also need to be a member. A VS9-3 form is required, with copies to be sent to the Dept of Ag in both states and to the customer. Some states require permits. Usually at no cost to you.
I wholly recommend the program. Don't be afraid....it's not at all affiliated with the NAIS program...yet. If they ask you to "voluntarily" participate in premise ID or NAIS as a whole, just politely decline.

Not a big deal!!

#70581 - 03/20/08 10:55 AM Re: NPIP questions
Freds Fine Fowl Offline
Chicken

Loc: Pennsylvania
Hi Ziggy,

I'm a poultry technician, licensed by the PA DOA and also a participant in the NPIP.

It is a federal program as others have said and then states participate.. I don't beleive ALL states are onboard yet.

Regarding your personal testing. One of your ceritified techs can draw blood and place the required bands on your birds. YOUR address will not be on a public listing, unless you become a full fledged participant in the NPIP program. NPIP is normally separate from the required blood testing.

The statement of health will come after your results are returned from the State approved lab. They may go to the person performing the test, or to you directly, depending on how the lab is set up.

The VS-FORM 9-3 Is issued only to NPIP Participating flocks, which have been cleared for some classification such as:
Pullorum Typhoid Clean
M. Gallisepticum Clean
M. Synoviae Clean... Salmonella Monitored...

You get the picture.

By having a registered flock, you may qualify for reimbursement in the event of a H5--- strain of influenza (more out there than just H5N1)

You also would benefit from being informed, if there were something in your area that your birds may be vaccinated against.

Many states require the accompanying VS Form 9-3, with any hatching egg or live chick shipments. OR, simply displaying a certified clean flock # on the box may be enough.

for example, mine would say (PA-NPIP #0378 CERTIFIED SALMONELLA, AVI, PULLORUM TYPHOID CLEAN FLOCK)

Once you obtain that CLEAN classification, you no longer have to test every bird and it's really just a paper drill.

IF you want to engage in interstate trade with poultry, better to have it and peace of mind.

*** I have never has a shipment checked at any Post Office Ever... that's not to say it couldn't happen.

Contact your DOA Extension Office for a list of certified poultry techs in your area and then contact them directly. It's pretty cheap... here it's about $1.00 per bird. Some States offer the testing service absolutely free.

#70582 - 03/21/08 07:43 PM Re: NPIP questions
Ziggy Offline
Chick

Loc: Indiana
I've contacted the NPIP to try and locate a certified poultry tech. They apparently dont give out the names or numbers of the testers, but would pass my number on to the certified testers to see if anyone would be interested in doing my chickens. The problem seems to be that the local 4-H buys the antigen and the testers use it only to test the 4-H poultry and either can't or won't be bothered with testing anyone elses. Aside from becoming a certified blood tester myself, I've come to a dead end.

#70583 - 03/21/08 09:20 PM Re: NPIP questions
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Testing is very easy. Years ago, the local Fair tested all birds as they came in, on entry day. The Vet, retired, did it as Contract work for the State, but did not live locally. He enjoyed the Rodeo and one year, asked me if I would do the testing for him?? He showed me how to do the first couple of birds (4H kids held the birds and the Poultry Supt, kept records. And the Vet went to the Rodeo!) The next year, he contacted me before the Fair, and gave me his light box and equipment--TO KEEP. And I tested birds for the next two years, when our State was declared P/T free and it is no longer required.

Since then, until NPIP, I have tested my own birds, with a helper, and the Vet came to inspect the flock afterward and give the P/T free papers for export to Canada, etc. He furnished the antigen.
NPIP testing, was the first one done by a new State Vet, and I really had to show her how! I had to purchase the antigen! She only recorded the number of birds of each sex. (I kept, for myself, record of the band numbers of all tested birds.)

I am waiting for her to come again, as I have birds to go to Canada again--and I understand the State will bring the Antigen this time.

It takes time to do each bird, but if you set up ahead of time, do not hurry, it is not difficult at all, and when it is done, it is DONE!

Go ahead and become a certified Blood tester!

And let it be known, that all states do not test at all. Each has their own arrangements! Good luck, CJR

#70584 - 03/21/08 10:00 PM Re: NPIP questions
Angela Stanley Offline
Coop Cleaner

Yeah,
He may not be able to become a tester. The state of Misery (oops, meant Missouri) does not allow for independant testers. They used to, but now testing has to be done by one of three Dept of Ag reps.
My flock usually takes about three hours to test. It's a bloody mess, but with a little organization...my rep and I get it done pretty easily.
Ziggy...try contacting your state Vet. He should at least be on the advisory board. You've not reached a dead end, you've just not hit the right spot yet.

Angela

#70585 - 03/21/08 10:18 PM Re: NPIP questions
Angela Stanley Offline
Coop Cleaner

Here, try this:

Illinois Department of Agriculture
Bureau of Animal Health and Welfare
State Fairgrounds P.O. Box 19281
Springfield, Illinois 62794 9281
Telephone: (217) 782 4944
Fax: (217) 558-6033