Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#70687 - 03/17/04 09:22 PM Re: poop eaters
Sally Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Florida
in case anyone has been folloeing this conversation: There has been an article published in the University of FLORIDA Extension Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences. In it the new FDA Rules on Feed are as follows:The FDA, to try to bolster prevention from BSE, among other things, has prohibited the use of poultry litter and restaurant scraps to cattle....It went on to other stuff but that is what we were discussing.

#70688 - 03/18/04 06:34 AM Re: poop eaters
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm out of my league here but will post anyway.
I have heard the 65% undigested statement before and asked a person in the business about it.After getting a 35 min. ,way over my head answer,I asked him to dumb it down for me."No not true,your most unefficient bird will pass about 1/3 undigested matter."The dog story was interesting.We have a opposum that has been visiting us for yrs. now.Every day ,about an hour before lockdown ,he'll climb out of his tree,walk to the coop,feast on the poop and then walk off into the pasture.

#70689 - 03/18/04 09:03 AM Re: poop eaters
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ron, I believe you are wrong about that. My feed mill accidentally sold me some medicated lay ration some time ago. The medication was the antibiotic, bacitracin. It was a layer feed, not a broiler feed. You can do a web search on "bacitracin layer feed" and find several examples of antibiotics in lay ration.

Jeff, my reference for the 65% figure is from Damerow's book. I don't see it right away, but on page 247 of "A Guide to Raising Chickens" (G. Damerow, Storey Books, 1995 ISBN 0-88266-897-8) is the statement: "Poultry manure is made up largely of undigested feed." Somewhere in the book is the 65% figure.

#70690 - 03/18/04 11:04 AM Re: poop eaters
Anonymous
Unregistered

It amazes me how a simple question about poop eating has gone to a more complex discussion. I like how this website sparks neurons. I have a question. If chicks eat poop will this increase coccidiosis? I would think it does, but if eaten right away the oocyts have not developed. How long does poop stay potentially infective. If dried out by brooder lights and woodchips does this decrease the odds of the chick getting coccidiosis. I read it takes several days for the oocyts to develop to a more infective stage. It affects chicks between 3 to seven weeks old. I am not medicating my chicks. They are no other older chicks or hens with this batch. But I do have a new batch of chicks that will in a couple weeks or 3 weeks take over the older chicks brooder space when I move them to the new coop. Answers, information....anything!!! Thanks.

Mike smile

#70691 - 03/19/04 09:21 AM Re: poop eaters
Anonymous
Unregistered

All our dogs (one at a time!) have always gone for the chicken poop our free range birds leave lying around - mostly near the kitchen door , of course, and we have 5 acres for them to roam in. It doesn't matter how often one tries to stop it, chicken poop to dogs is like caviar, or maybe chocolate, to us!!!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn