Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#70693 - 08/14/03 11:52 PM Importing to US/quarantines
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does anybody know if/how I can bring my chickens to the mainland from a U.S. Commonwealth (Northern Mariana Islands)?

I have a few hens and a rooster that I've gotten quite attached to and when I return to the mainland I'd like to bring them back to me. Thanks for your help.

Some of the issues:

1) Will airlines allow you to ship them as freight, bring as a carry-on in one of those cat-carriers, or check as accompanied baggage?

2) Any quarantine restrictions. I'd have to bring them via Narita, Japan, or Honolulu.

3) Approximate costs. If it's prohibitive, I'll just find a good home for them here.

#70694 - 08/15/03 12:58 AM Re: Importing to US/quarantines
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't know the exact laws, but (sorry, can't remember name) someone importing Serama's from Malaysia had to pay thousands for shipping and quarantine. Correct me if i'm talking rubbish! wink

#70695 - 08/15/03 05:36 AM Re: Importing to US/quarantines
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bukbuk,you need a USDA import permit, a current health certificate from a full-time Vet and there is a 30 day quarantine at the federal facility at your expense. I'm guessing you'll be coming in via miami fla so here's their #(that'd be APHIS) (305)-526-2926. Check the APHIS website if ya got any more questions as they have the answers there, )

#70696 - 08/15/03 06:41 AM Re: Importing to US/quarantines
Neil Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Michigan
Dosent the quarentine cost alone get into the thousands? I think I would rather get new birds once I moved.

#70697 - 08/15/03 01:15 PM Re: Importing to US/quarantines
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the tips. I'll check them out. If I have to pay thousands of dollars, looks like I'm just gonna have to get some chickens when I get back.

#70698 - 08/15/03 01:46 PM Re: Importing to US/quarantines
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just checked out the aphis.usda.gov website and couldn't find anything specific for bringing poultry from a U.S. commonwealth. The rumor here is that b/c I'm already in the U.S., I don't need any special permits. There's no direct flights to the mainland from here, but I can fly through Guam and Hawaii, also U.S. of course, so technically I would never leave the U.S. in getting to the mainland. I know that there aren't any special permits required for "importing" chickens here from Hawaii or even McMurray, so it would make sense if nothing's needed on the way back.

I emailed the aphis info officer and will report back if I get a reply. Thanks, everyone.

#70699 - 08/15/03 05:03 PM Re: Importing to US/quarantines
Anonymous
Unregistered

it will not cost thousands. i remember researching that and i found that is costs about 150 dollars per bird in the end after all of the vet check and such. I would just hide a few dozen eggs when i leave. but im not. lol.

#70700 - 08/15/03 10:57 PM Re: Importing to US/quarantines
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hiya Buk Buk,

I would call the airlines locally and US Dept of Agriculture or the proper agency there on the island. I bet you aren't looking at "thousands"
Maybe you can even have one in the cabin.
Good luck, Sandy and the Giggle Chix

#70701 - 08/16/03 09:26 AM Re: Importing to US/quarantines
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hiya Gigglechix,

Yes, I'd like to take one as a carry-on. If it's possible I'll just take a hen in the cabin b/c a rooster would probably keep the whole cabin awake and there may be a mutiny on board to kill the rooster.... I'll check the airlines/usda here. A friend of mine works for TSA and he's always telling me of funny stories of finding strange things in passenger's carry on baggage, but I don't think he's ever dealt with a cabin chicken before.

#70702 - 08/16/03 11:39 AM Re: Importing to US/quarantines
Anonymous
Unregistered

perhaps someone here can tell you how to secret a rooster inside a briefcase like object?
what kind of birds do you have- maybe there are exotic and interesting bloodlines on saipan?
( hey are your birds the saipan fowl?)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn