Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#70932 - 03/26/07 01:54 PM killer hen
Fleta Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Arkansas
my sister has several american game hens standard size .two of her hens were found dead with bloody heads. she thought the hens were fighting. i didn't think so. yesterday she returned home to find one of the hens pecking on a bloody hen. she said the hen had pecked the hens eyes out. have you every heard of this behaviour? i never heard of hens killing other hens. she has 3 roosters.

#70933 - 03/26/07 02:28 PM Re: killer hen
Gold-n-chocolate Offline
New Egg

Loc: Massachusetts
How small is her chicken pen? Sometimes hens will be mean to each other if they don't have enough room. Also, how many hens does she have for 3 roosters? With 3 roosters it's possible there is lots of tension in the coop.

#70934 - 03/26/07 02:51 PM Re: killer hen
Fleta Offline
Coop Cleaner

i think the pen is large enough and she has 2 dozen hens. she had 9 game hens now 3 less and her roosters and other chickens are bantam.

#70935 - 03/26/07 07:13 PM Re: killer hen
Sunni Ten Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Colorado
Are you sure a predator (dog, cat) didn't kill them? Or, maybe the chickens died of natural causes and they were picked on afterwards? My chickens will peck on ANYTHING, but especially dead things they find in the yard (mice, birds) or unfortunatel, something that is dying. (I've had sick/injured chickens picked on by the rest of the flock.)

#70936 - 03/26/07 08:22 PM Re: killer hen
Chris Link Offline
Chicken

Loc: Missouri
Game hens can be very brutal to each other. Stop and think about it their brothers were bred to engauge in a battle to the death.. They probibly didn't actually kill each other more likely overheated and exhaustion took them as a result of fighting.. If they are seperated they will have another knock down drag out when put back together.. As they fight and tire they will begin to take a hold of their opponet and beat them in the head and neck area.. Wash the face and head of the injured birds up and apply a coat of vasaline to their heads to keep their eyes from sticking shut.. Chris

#70937 - 03/27/07 03:54 AM Re: killer hen
Fleta Offline
Coop Cleaner

i thought it was a predator also but she caught the 3rd two fighting with the one hen almost finished. they fight until the one is dead.

#70938 - 03/31/07 05:51 PM Re: killer hen
Anti-Birdatarian Offline
Bantam

Loc: Canada
I have a Leghorn "Miss cloud" meany hen. She dosen't KILL other chickens but she used to kill mice, YES. It sounds like you have one meany hen. JULIA

#70939 - 04/01/07 04:29 AM Re: killer hen
Joachim Dippold Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Austria
Hello Fleta,

have to agree with Chris. Itīs quite normal for game hens to be, say "incompatible", to use a neutral word. LOL! To kill eachother is their job, simple as that. People have bred them for hundreds of years with just one goal: for combat!

Besides, you say her pen is large enought. Well, why do you think so? I know I sound arrogant by saying this but: I bet it is NOT!

Sorry, the following might sound rude but is not ment so, okay? In your own posting are all your answers:

Quote:
i think the pen is large enough and she has 2 dozen hens. she had 9 game hens now 3 less and her roosters and other chickens are bantam.
Itīs no good to house game chickens with other chickens. Itīs no good to house 3 game roosters with other chickens. Itīs no good to house 2 game roos to start with! Every additional bird makes it far worse. Itīs no good to house game chickens at all. A single rooster with a few(!) hens will get along rather good. Game birds are "sporty" birds, they suffer when penned up;-(

They have different meat-structure and different bones, they behave different, there are SO many things to think about. From all I have read so far I would say your sister made every mistake possible, why hasnīt she asked BEFORE trying to raise game birds? You said 3 are already dead, well, what does she wait for? Untill all birds are dead??? ;-( She better does something to improve their environent/housing/food, and she better does it fast as long as she still has some birds left. There are HEAPS of good and valuable information out there according game birds, no excuses accepted here.

Best greetings,

Joachim

PS: Sorry, got carried away. But it makes me feel sad when I see that birds have to suffer only because their owners donīt care for their natural requirements;-(

#70940 - 04/01/07 06:31 AM Re: killer hen
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree w/ joachim. My game birds never get mixed with the birds in the coop. they run around free with a couple of hens each and seem to get along fine because they have plenty of distance between each other and don't need to fight over hens or food or water.

#70941 - 04/02/07 07:07 AM Re: killer hen
Cranberry Creek Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Canada
I have many old english game bird bantams, and believe me when I say, that they can be some of the nicest chickens you ever had when kept properly but if put in a situation where there is call for violance they usually come out on top. I my self have seen a tiny game bantam go all out on a gigantic Barred rock rooster, and if he can't win he will do battle till he dies.

I know I've made them sound like bad birds but they are some of my favorite.

Roman

#70942 - 04/02/07 02:49 PM Re: killer hen
Fleta Offline
Coop Cleaner

her roosters are not game, but bantam, perhaps it is the fact that they are game since she lives in the country i suggested she throw them out of the pen and let them make their own way. my sister is not mean or cruel !

#70943 - 04/02/07 04:28 PM Re: killer hen
Boobear7 Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: North Carolina
I don't think anyone here has intended to call your sister 'mean or cruel'. I think what they are trying to say is that the current living conditions are not optimal for the birds. Changes need to be made in order to make the birds more comfortable, less stressed, and overall, happier.
I don't know a whole lot about game birds, but I personally wouldn't have them even though I have the space. I think it would do some good to take heed in what those with game bird experience have to say. Prevent another loss and make things a heck of a lot more peaceful.
I think your sister should listen to your suggestion of throwing them out of the pen smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn