Topic Options
#70952 - 04/21/08 08:23 AM Do Hens Cry?
Hulaflop Offline
Chick

Loc: Oregon
I took a borrowed bantam rooster back to the farm yesterday as I live in town. Once I got back to my house, my bantam hen was making a wheezing type cry (not just wheezing). I put my 6-week-old chicks in the hen house with her, and she's doing good with them but was still "crying." Today she isn't doing it, but first thing this morning she was out looking for the rooster, when normally she would stay in her house. She isn't sick. Thanks for any advice.

#70953 - 04/21/08 11:00 AM Re: Do Hens Cry?
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
No, chickens do not cry. Instinct takes care of their basic activities, but they can learn new things. Chickens are flock creatures and do seem to prefer to have company--however, she will adapt to the growing chicks. The sound she is making, may be a sound looking for any chicken her size--but see if it doesn't change to talking to the chicks soon.

If it is actual wheezing--that is not a natural sound--hope that will stop! Good luck, CJR

#70954 - 04/21/08 11:25 AM Re: Do Hens Cry?
Hulaflop Offline
Chick

Loc: Oregon
I'm thinking you're right. She isn't being as friendly w/ the chicks today but her "wining" has stopped. She took over the chicks heat lamp area so I had to put up another one :)Thanks for the help!

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn