Topic Options
#71075 - 12/04/03 08:04 PM Cheap, good incubators
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey everyone. Does anyone know of a good, cheap brand of incubator that only hatches maybe 5 eggs? I know of a Covatutto 6 model, but it is still $85 AUD which is pretty dear for my price range.

Even better, does anyone know of detailed plans on the net available so I can build my own incubator or incubator/brooder combo for half a dozen eggs or there abouts?

Thanks,
Brett. smile

#71076 - 12/04/03 08:16 PM Re: Cheap, good incubators
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
The best cheap incubator for 5 or 6 eggs is a Silky or Pekin hen. Sometimes you can borrow one. They are the surest way to get 100% hatch. The small incubators at any price, are not as reliable as a sweet setting hen. You might consider searching for one. CJR
Happy Holidays!

#71077 - 12/04/03 08:53 PM Re: Cheap, good incubators
KazJaps Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Australia
Mississippi State Uni has the instructions to make 2 different types of still-air incubators (styrofoam & plywood):
http://msucares.com/poultry/reproductions/poultry_make_incubator.html

I have the Bellsouth100 (100 large eggs capacity)
www.bellsouth.com.au
Over the $200 mark though. After losing alot of eggs due to a faulty thermostat, I ended up using only broody hens for this spring. Have more chickens than I should have right now. :p

I always use broodies to raise the chickens, & turn off the incubator before the storm season begins. Sleep better on stormy nights that way. wink

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn