Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#71092 - 03/29/07 10:04 PM Re: What makes a GOOD hen?
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
When I first posted this question,(What makes a good Hen?) my RIR pullet, Pickle, had been rearing chicks for 12 weeks. If you add the 4 weeks she was sitting on golf balls before I put chicks under her, that makes 16 weeks and now add another 8 weeks to the total making it 24 weeks since she stopped laying and went clucky, (She has long since given up "mothering" those chicks, but despite looking in good health with a nice bright red comb, squatting when I walk past her and eating exceptionally well, (though she's not fat)) she still has not recommenced laying!!! confused Now I KNOW that sulphate of ammonia or flowers of potash won't make her produce fruit/flowers like it will for plants, but does anyone know a good tonic for a hen to trigger laying again? Save sitting down beside her with the machete in my hand while I discuss the facts of life with her, I don't know how to get her laying. wink I'm beginning to think she likes being decorative in the backyard. The other hens don't like her very much, so I think they sense she's different, but she made such a good job of rearing those chicks I'd certainly like to get her productive again, even if to rear more chicks. Any suggestions? frown

#71093 - 03/30/07 07:34 AM Re: What makes a GOOD hen?
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
Did she lose a lot of weight during her clucky phase? I'm wondering if it's just her body needing to gain some weight and strength before the reproductive system kicks back into gear?

Not sure, because I have too many hens to monitor one if she is in with the flock, so I'm not too sure how long it takes my broodies to get back in gear. I usually assume they are laying again if they have a bright red comb and I spot them in a nest box. That's about all I have to go on.

Have you done a vent check? Is she dry?

#71094 - 03/30/07 07:33 PM Re: What makes a GOOD hen?
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Everything is normal. Other broodies I have had have returned to laying in about 8-10 weeks. Most of them though layed through their pullet year and didn't cluck until either the end of first lay, or the beginning of second lay. Pickle has never been a steady layer. Most eggs I ever got from her in a month was 16, then she promptly went broody again. She's never been a fat chook, but then not thin either for her big frame. I've just switched over to my winter feeding grain which is 50/50 cracked corn and barley, mixed with molasis. They get layers mash as well. It puts weight on them and has triggered Blackie back into laying. Hoping it will do the same for Pickle.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn