Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#71115 - 12/14/07 01:58 PM Re: Hawk Predator
Luisa Fels Offline
Bantam

Loc: California
we've installed 4 "stop lights"--advertised in Backyard Poultry--solar powered, light/dark activated little red lights that are s'posed to scare away all predators. how we could verify that they work i'm not sure-- we haven't lost a bird since we installed them but also since we installed them we've been religious about getting our guineas shut in before dusk, when they would roost on top of our poultry palace and get picked off by owls. it means getting back from town by 3 p.m., wh/ is no easy task. the only other birds that might get preyed upon are the 2 fat hybrid drakes, wh/ are careful to mingle w/ the fat geese, wh/ are unlikely to be preyed upon. anyway, that's one more option.

#71116 - 12/14/07 02:57 PM Re: Hawk Predator
C. G. McCary Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Alabama
I have seen those red lights advertised and wondered if they are effective. I understand that you may install them, too, about three feet (~1 meter) off the ground to deter ground predators. They looked easy to mount. Anybody have experience with that?

CHRIS

#71117 - 12/14/07 05:38 PM Re: Hawk Predator
C. G. McCary Offline
Coop Keeper

#71118 - 12/14/07 07:45 PM Re: Hawk Predator
Ducks-n-Geese Offline
Chicken

Loc: Louisiana
I recommend the niteguard, but you do have to pay attention and actually measure and have them the proper height as suggested by the company.

#71119 - 12/15/07 04:40 AM Re: Hawk Predator
Kraienkoppe Offline
Chicken

Loc: Oklahoma
We've been raising a Great Pyrenees pup. He's now 7 mos old and about 90 lbs. Looks like a little polar bear. For weeks something was disturbing our birds every night. A week ago we lost seven pullets and cockerels. It had to be a coon. Anyway, I finally rigged things up so the pup would be able to roam our pastures and yard during the night. He is obviously bred to patrol and guard at night (sleeps all day and is happily running 'round and barking at night). It's been a week now that the birds have been sleeping tranquilly & me too! The only false alarm was the first night when he wuffled outside their coop. They all went ballistic. But now they recognize that he's not going to hurt them.

Pyrenees aren't supposed to be fully mature and ready for regular guard duty until at least 1 1/2 years of age. He's not ready, in the sense that I can't leave him unattended with the chickens or goats. He's still in the bouncy playful stage of life. He's killed two chickens (a couple of months ago) by playing with them. But his predator drive is extremely low.

So right now he's closed up in a separate pen, when the birds and goats are out, unless I'm doing chores. Then, he comes with me and doesn't bother the animals at all.

Regarding hawks: when we lived in New Jersey hawks were absolutely horrible on poultry. Seemed like they had learned to prefer poultry over squirrels (of which we were over run). Here in Oklahoma I only have lost a few smaller birds to hawks and learned simply not to let them free range until they are past that size. I've had Red Tailed hawks raise their little ones right on the property and give no problem at all.

My theory is that in NJ they had total impunity. Here, in this part of Oklahoma there are plenty of places where people live almost as if it were 100 years ago. If it bothers their "critters," it dies. I once had quite a conversation with one fellow who raised turkeys. He told me, "There are thieves among the hawks and owls. Not all are thieves, just a few. When a thief gets our birds, we get him. Then the ones left leave the birds alone." Anyway, something is different between NJ & OK, and it's not that OK has more squirrels!

George

#71120 - 12/15/07 09:23 AM Re: Hawk Predator
C. G. McCary Offline
Coop Keeper

same may be true of Alabama as Oklahoma; we love our guns here. we protect our animals.

#71121 - 12/17/07 12:34 PM Re: Hawk Predator
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
Hahaha....I'm just smiling with a knowing look... smile We had an animal kill one of our hens this last week (hard to see anything with no electricty!)

I waited all night (seemed like a good idea) and then found out that my neighbors dog had learned to "climb" up the fence. Having a previous agreement that if the dog even looked twice at my birds, the dog was dead, I shot the dog and called the owner to pick it up the next morning. Always good to have an arrangement like that when livestock are nearby.

#71122 - 12/19/07 04:36 PM Re: Hawk Predator
Barnyard Jenny Offline
Feather

Loc: North Carolina
I think one of my girls was attacked by a hawk a day ago. I got home from shopping, and usually all my girls run over to greet me, but this day no one would come out of their protected run. So, I went to check and it looked like a feather bomb went off.
I finally found the one with the missing butt/tail feathers. Later in the day I caught her and checked her out. Under her neck feathers on her back was a huge hole- I could see drumsticks and everything. She ran off and is still running around eating, drinking, scratching. Keeping an eye on her for now, although expecting the worst ;(

#71123 - 12/22/07 02:23 PM Re: Hawk Predator
Anonymous
Unregistered

It was really hard for me to post this year. We had a terrible terrible time with hawks owls red fox and skunks. We lost TamTam and It just really was horrible. Her white tophat was the target. We lost 1/2 our flock, some were 2 some were 1; this didnt seem to matter. Whatever it was dragged them outta the coop at night. There is no way to stop the red fox, from what I can see....this is the first Time I've posted here all winter, I miss the birds I lost. I felt like I had failed them. I know that I didnt but still it was an awful thing. Several were found with feathers all in a ring, I will chalk those up to Owls/Hawks. Nature can be so cruel..
THS

#71124 - 12/22/07 07:05 PM Re: Hawk Predator
Wyattdogster Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Virginia
Sorry to hear about your losses. Perhaps a door on the coop to securely close them in at night would also keep predators OUT of the coop. I cannot leave my coop open at night, we have too many predators here, including a prowling bobcat.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn