Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#71130 - 01/01/07 09:01 PM snake attack
RuffEnuff Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Australia
i would like to display todays excitement for me while feeding my birds.

while half heartedly hearing one of my hens making a fuss i wandered over to where she had got back into her enclosure not long after i let her out. i had lifted the wire but it must have fallen back over her and her chickens were in with her. next thing i noticed a brown snake in with her and it seemed agitated. i thought it was just trying to get out so i lifted the wire and stepped back. mum and 3 chicks ran one way and the 4th ran towards me.

the snake slid out and i thought it would leave but it slithered around the place in a still agitated way, going around the nesting box which was in the enclosure and the whole area. poking its nose into crevices and flicking its tongue.

the chick was making a din about 2 feet from me and i decided the snake must be loking for it. i must say it took some nerve to stay still when it was wandering around my ankles. i could make out old scars and bumps in its scales.

having bread in my hands i threw it to mother hen so she would call her chick over, she was making less noise now. all the other birds had to come and stare with me and have their say.

the chick went over to its mother but the snake followed. mum attaked the snake and it grabed at her and ended up with a mouth full of feathers. the chickens became hysterical and ran around in circles.

to my amazement the snake attacked the chickens. i have never had one attack them before. usually they ignore them and continue on their way. the mother went crazy flying at the snakle and i stomped my feet and clapped my hands. then i thought that was stupid i should just observe. seeing it is one of the most poisonous australian snakes, most likely an eastern brown, i couldn't just go and remove the chicken from its mouth and it had totaly ignored me as it sees me and i see it on a regular basis.

after mother hen and chicks were out of the way. the snake totally ignored me and commenced eating the chick. it sort of chewed at it and wraped itself around the chick. the chick died within seconds.

as i was watching i thought "i should take a photo of this, i never seem to have a camera ready for these things". then i realized one was in the car nearby. the snake didn't appear to be going anywhere in a hurry so i ran to the car, ripped the cover off the camera, lucky i had my glasses on as usually i cannot see the screen without.

amazingly none of the photos are blurry from me shaking. only when he decided to rear up at the end and leave with the chicken.

the chicken is/was about 2 weeks old, was well grown and a pekin bantam. i guess the snake was a good 5 foot long as it was longer that my arms spread out.

i have just raced inside, down loaded the photos, reduced their size, posted them up on photobucket and now i will with my new found skills put them here. all in less than an hour.

[img] [IMG]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q100/ruffEnuff_photos/brownsnakeattack001.jpg [/img][/IMG]

[img]http://[IMG]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q100/ruffEnuff_photos/brownsnakeattack007.jpg[/img][/IMG]

in the first piccy you can see the hens feathers. in the second you can sell the lovely definition of the snakes scales.

i hope you like it. i thought it was interesting.
k.

#71131 - 01/01/07 09:05 PM Re: snake attack
RuffEnuff Offline
Ruler of the Roost

oops there was supposed to be 2 but you can see all 4 on photobucket. i think they maybe a bit big.
K

#71132 - 01/01/07 09:35 PM Re: snake attack
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Instead of going to "image",in the full reply form, use the url button instead. You'll get a dialogue box to paste your photobucket link into. When you click ok you will get a second window where you can input a name for your link. That's all that will appear in your post and will take the reader straight to your sponsored photo album. As long as your album is public and not passwrod protected, it'll work fine. Hope this helps. Foehn

#71133 - 01/02/07 04:56 PM Re: snake attack
Anonymous
Unregistered

i love snakes really.......but now wont he "learn" where there is a potential free meal laying around?? dang. how common is this? do you got any way to "relocate" this problem? we got lots of nastys here in mn, but no 5' poisonous problems!!!!

#71134 - 01/02/07 06:52 PM Re: snake attack
RuffEnuff Offline
Ruler of the Roost

i am hoping it does not learn to take chickens. pythons do very quickly. from its behaviour it seems to have very poor eye sight and depends on sound. the birds could have escaped but were too stupid. it does account for some unexplained deaths i have.

there is no way i would relocate this fellow. i would shoot it first but i much prefer shooting them with megapixels than lead. they are far to dangerous to play with and what i did was risky. this snake has very little fear of me so i presume it sees me more than i see it, and just regards me as part of the furniture. i tend to wear steel capped boots and jeans and mow large areas of grass. from the behaviour with the birds it took a lot of antangonizing before it bit the hen...who died soon after from the venom.

i will be keeping a close eye on the snake incase i do start loosing chicks but a chick every now again does not really bother me. i saw it (or another like it) with a almost full grown rat a few weeks ago, which again it took away. this is what they are useful for.

amazingly there are no pythons yet or if there is they are not taking my birds. there are blue and brown tree snakes and a small red bellied black the other day.

things happen so quickly that there is no time to get a camera.

a friend has problems with pythons some of which will eat 3 pekin roosters in a night, which i suppose is not much when considering how big some grow. they will push through thin chicken wire and force open doors.often when visiting in the summer you can see one coiled around the roof beams of her pens. however if she ever wants to cull birds she does not lock them up. i sometimes take my culls to her and it is a very useful way of getting rid of excess roosters or sick birds. i am tempted to bring one home but my cages are not snake proof. i have phots of one with a couple of lumps in its belly.

i am down loading some photos that are more reduced in size this time. sorry the other was too big to go on the site but i am just learning. i thought they were smaller than that (didn't look at the pixels) but someone (luckily) has been fiddling with the camera and increased the mps compared to last time i used it.
k.

#71135 - 01/02/07 07:21 PM Re: snake attack
RuffEnuff Offline
Ruler of the Roost

here is that snake chewing on a chicken in a more reasonable small size. do you think i should make the photos smaller than this still?

poultry and friends

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q100/ruffEnuff_photos/quatersize3.jpg

i hope that works foehn. i appreciate the tutoring.
k.

#71136 - 01/02/07 08:40 PM Re: snake attack
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

ruffEnuff, Not sure if others can open your link but for me it won't. There appears to be too many http s in it. Ought to be only one which suggests your URL is not quite right. Although I'm not so familiar with photobucket, I think it should have a number at the end of it rather than just .jpg. Go back into the actual photo in your photobucket album and click on it. Compare the url in the address line with the url that appears in your post (you can check it by using the Edit button.) Are they the same? If not alter it. A good size for saving .jpg images for any internet things such as emails etc is anywhere between 80 and 600KB
PS I pasted your first link into the the address line on google search and that opens ok. Sure glad we don't have snakes in NZ!

#71137 - 01/02/07 10:22 PM Re: snake attack
Uno Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Canada
ruffEnuff:

Ugh! I would keel over stone dead if I saw a snake that size in my hen house, or anywhere for that matter! I admire your gracious approach to sharing your poultry with the locals. I have lost a few to local predators and don't resent it (too much). It is my understanding that snakes do not eat that often, maybe once a month or so, unlike hawks or coyotes who tend to eat as often as possible. So a snake might not become habituated to your flock as a food source the same way another animal might.

I wish I could open your pictures, but it just won't work for me. I'd love to see, I think confused

#71138 - 01/03/07 12:02 AM Re: snake attack
RuffEnuff Offline
Ruler of the Roost

yea!! i did it. at last it works. thanks Foehn, what i did was click copy twice.

i think it opens only one photo. if you want more i can pop another couple in. now i had better get back to the genetics site and get some understanding of what my birds may be.
k.

#71139 - 01/03/07 01:23 AM Re: snake attack
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Terrific photo. Just as well it was too occupied swallowing your chicken frown to be interested in the "crazy" photographer waving a camera in it's face. eek ...... And I'm still glad we don't have snakes in NZ. (Well maybe one or two of the 2 legged variety :rolleyes: )

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn