Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#71140 - 01/03/07 04:15 AM Re: snake attack
Foghorn Offline
Chick

Loc: Kentucky
That is quite a picture! Thanks for the account and for the picture.

Quite some time ago I discovered a diamond back rattlesnake wrapped up next to one of the nesting boxes in our coup. I don't have any pictures, but I can tell you that they taste pretty good.

#71141 - 01/03/07 12:34 PM Re: snake attack
Dolly Llama Offline
Feather

Loc: Iowa
I'm with you UNO. I would die if I saw a snake that big. I'll take raccoons over snakes any day. We don't really have anything poisonous here. maybe a few rattlers, but I've never seen one. I hate to say it, but I would probably kill a snake like that if I found enough courage to do it.

#71142 - 01/04/07 02:29 PM Re: snake attack
Coop Slave Offline
Chicken

Loc: Australia
Great picture! I have had a few browns in my chook shed, but the birds always just seem to ignore them. They always scare the crap out of me but the birds don't seem to care.

I am amazed that it ate one of your chicks. I thought they would find easier prey. Now I am worried about mine.

Would love to see any other pictures you managed to get of it! If you copy the URL (third box at photobucket) and paste it in your message it puts the picture right in you message. You just have to make sure they are not to big. Looking forward to more SCARY snake pictures.

#71143 - 01/04/07 11:13 PM Re: snake attack
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
All I can say is...I am so glad I don't live in Australia!!! Between your Brown snakes and the Black Mamba...give me tornadoes anyday! I'd take a BB gun with me everywhere if I were in Australia! (Or maybe a stronger gun!)

I hate the Black Rat Snakes that I find here, good Lord! If I saw that thing in my yard, I'd freak, dance around a bit, and then get the heck outta dodge! Ya'll are much braver than I am!

#71144 - 01/05/07 02:09 AM Re: snake attack
Rogo16 Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Arizona
Having lived with rattlers and having kids, I do not hesitate to shoot any snake. It may have been their land at one time, but it's mine now and I will do what's needed to protect me and mine.

#71145 - 01/05/07 09:09 AM Re: snake attack
CJR Offline
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
There is something important in this experience that has been described to us. This large, poisonous snake is apparently not a threat that requires its killing. It is seen regularly and has not ever bothered the chickens. This was an experience for the snake AND the chickens that was started by a wire falling back on an enclosure with the snake and the hen and her chicks. Until chick made a cry at being separated and the hen carried on when the chick returned and then attacked the snake, it did no harm. The chick that had been left behind and that the snake decided to eat, may not have been in the snake's plan at all, until the disruption began? This snake lives and is eliminating rats, other varmits (must be to reach its size). There may be reasons to eliminate some snakes. And this snake might someday have to go--but for now, it is doing its job, better than we could--and I am very glad to have heard this tale, seen the picture of the snake--and learned again, that every unusual animal does not have to be killed on sight! (and yet admitting that some DO)! CJR

#71146 - 01/06/07 02:44 AM Re: snake attack
RuffEnuff Offline
Ruler of the Roost

once i killed brown snakes, when i had kids howeer it did not make it any less likely they could be bitten. also more people are bitten while trying to kill, catch or teasing them than any thing else.

also the rat and mouse problem has got so bad that we need to resort to poisonous baits. kill the predarors and you are asking for trouble. poison the vermin and you poison everything else.

i feel that learning to live with these things is far more important. rats and mice carry disease, eat wildlife, compete for food and space etc etc.

fear of these things is something we must make ourselves overcome. learn to admire their beauty,understand them, to admire them in action and feel privlaged to be a witness to them.

i would sacrifice a hundred chickens to get photos as good as these. you can set things up for a photo session but getting something that is spontaneous and wild is something special.

even my 71 year old mum has changed her attitude to snakes and often tells me of her latest experiences with them with delight. i have shown her my photos and now she wants a digital camera too.

i don't think browns hunt chickens often. if the hen had brains she should have left. there was about another 20 birds watching with me and as close as me. the snake went past all these and totally ignored them. i have no idea why it just decided on that particular one. it looks well fed.

i have seen poultry eat small snakes too.

this is one of the whole snake.

[img]http://[IMG]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q100/ruffEnuff_photos/quartersize2.jpg[/img][/IMG]

i need more practise at this.

and:

and:

done it!! wow i am slow.
k.

#71147 - 01/06/07 06:40 PM Re: snake attack
Coop Slave Offline
Chicken

Was anybody else able to see the picture? I could not, but I would really like to.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

I can see them now. They are great pictures! Good on ya for having the composure to take them.

#71148 - 01/08/07 11:32 AM Re: snake attack
Oakie Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Oklahoma
I can see them just fine. Thanks for sharing them us.

#71149 - 01/08/07 11:38 AM Re: snake attack
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
The only one that I can't see is the very top picture.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn