Topic Options
#71274 - 03/27/04 04:44 PM Dyeing duck eggs for Easter?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi all,

Just thought I'd ask - is it possible to dye duck eggs? I get the cutest little eggs from my Aussie Bantams and after reading CJR's post in the Beginner forum (the tiny egg thread) about dying Bantam chicken eggs it made me wonder if duck eggs can be dyed as well. I was wondering if it was possible because they have a pretty thick coating on them that never quite feels washed off. Don't know if the dye would stick. Guess I could experiment... Anyone ever try it?!

Gingit (Jin-jeet)
Happiness is a warm egg! smile

#71275 - 03/27/04 06:00 PM Re: Dyeing duck eggs for Easter?
Sally Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Florida
Hi ,
Last year I had a mallard that layed green eggs!!! I don't know if you can dye them but if it doesn't take there are those cute little shrink-wrap sleeves!!! you slip them on and dunk in hot water and voila!!! decorators delight!!
Have fun!!
Sally

#71276 - 03/27/04 06:35 PM Re: Dyeing duck eggs for Easter?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Sally,

My Rouen lays very large green-tinted eggs. And one of my Aussies lays green tinted ones, while the other one lays white ones. It's the white ones I am hoping to dye! smile I think they will be so cute! But you are right - we could have fun with the green ones with those wrap kits! Thanks for the idea!

(All of our chickens lay brown and blue/green eggs so we will have to go to the market for white eggs or use the Aussie duck's!)

#71277 - 03/28/04 10:44 AM Re: Dyeing duck eggs for Easter?
Anonymous
Unregistered

White duck eggs dye well as long as they have not been washed in any chlorine based egg wash. Just wash in warm water and dry thoroughly.

#71278 - 03/28/04 11:09 AM Re: Dyeing duck eggs for Easter?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Excellent!!! laugh This is going to be such fun! Thanks croston!

#71279 - 04/02/04 07:28 AM Re: Dyeing duck eggs for Easter?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was thinking of doing the same thing Gingit! But then, the mallard green is such a lovely color - we'll leave them as they are and just use the white chicken eggs.

It's so nice having all these eggs around, so refreshing and wonderful after such a long, cold winter. We're "egg" decorating with hanging plastic, colorful eggs on the bushes out front, even hung some fancy paper ones with ribbon from our fireplace mantel where the Xmas stockings go. Julia's eggs are displayed within a hand embroidered cloth inside an old copper bowl -it's so wonderful to see such an abundance from nature. I love springtime.

#71280 - 04/02/04 03:45 PM Re: Dyeing duck eggs for Easter?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I dyed a goose egg successfully using the Ukranian wax resist technique. It would have been wonderful if I had any artistic skill at all! As it was, it was large and colorful at least.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn