Topic Options
#71286 - 06/11/04 05:06 PM YIKES - eagle in the chicken yard
Anonymous
Unregistered

We were up early this morning and did all the chicken chores between the 2 coops. Came into the house to have a coffee and watch the morning news. Hubby just sat down and glanced out the patio door and said "there's an eagle in the chicken yard". We both ran out of the house along with the dogs and straight for the coop. The eagle just cleared the fence around the yard as our big dog got there. He jumped up in the air and I swear that I heard his jaws snap shut trying to grab that damn bird. He just missed him by about 5 inches.

All my girls are ok as they headed for the thick brush in their yard. What amazes me is my run is crossed and criss crossed with thick string (fentex). The lines are strung 7" apart. When that eagle came outta there he had about 8 strings hanging on to him. You could see him labouring to get out and fly. Some of the string finally broke and he cleared the fence. I think that is why the dog almost latched onto him.

Made all the repairs this afternoon and still can't figure out how that BIG bird got in.

Now I am totally paranoid. Any little peep and I am looking to see whats up. Maybe the fact that he got kinda trapped by the string and the dog almost got him will make him think twice about trying that again.

#71287 - 06/11/04 08:59 PM Re: YIKES - eagle in the chicken yard
J. Lewes Offline
Chicken

Loc: Nevada
i hope the eagle doesn't come back, or anything elese to harm your chix for that matter smile

#71288 - 06/15/04 06:45 AM Re: YIKES - eagle in the chicken yard
Rosie Offline
Feather

Loc: Australia
We just had a sparrowhawk here, I went out because the girls were calling and found a hawk sitting on a splatted pidgeon right in our run. I yelled and it took off with the pidgeon, but I think it might be staking our place out for easy food. We don't have any wires or netting over the top of the run, so that's this weekend's project!
I hope you don't get that eagle back again, it sounds like a really strong bird.

#71289 - 06/15/04 05:20 PM Re: YIKES - eagle in the chicken yard
Anonymous
Unregistered

We put bird netting that you get from Home Depot over the run, supported by four posts with eyehooks and cord running around it and crisscrossed. Occasionally, I'll get a few butterflies or sparrows caught in it, but so far no hawk or owl has dared attempt a break in.

#71290 - 06/15/04 06:04 PM Re: YIKES - eagle in the chicken yard
Anonymous
Unregistered

I dont know laws in the area you live, but here you could have killed that eagle if it was going after your live stock.
-Andrew

#71291 - 06/15/04 07:24 PM Re: YIKES - eagle in the chicken yard
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hmm speaking of eagles an osprey swooped down last nite and grabbed one of my red shavers didnt know til i heard screaming way in the sky sounded like a chicken ran out and they were way up over the lake...i have no luck lately

#71292 - 06/17/04 09:20 AM Re: YIKES - eagle in the chicken yard
Anonymous
Unregistered

We only have hawks where I live, luckily and not eagles. I have not lost a chicken to a hawk yet, though I know people who have. We have dangly Christmas lights, also know as icicle lights, around our fence. We put them up for fun at Christmas, and somehow the way the light plays on the lights bothers the hawks, and they leave the hens alone. The lights are not plugged in and are above where the hens can reach so they cannot hurt themselves. We’ve had a hawk come near to the coop but it left without harming the hens. I don’t know if this works on other birds but it woks on our hawks. Good luck with the eagle.

#71293 - 06/18/04 10:52 AM Re: YIKES - eagle in the chicken yard
C. Newman Offline
Chicken

Loc: Virginia
We've had a couple of predator visits in the last few weeks.

First a red-tailed hawk swooped in on my chickens while I was letting them free-range for a few hours. Luckily, my husband was nearby and chased the hawk away.

Then this week, a red fox nearly killed the rooster that a neighbor's been "keeping". The rooster, Rudy, has been left to free-range all the time and he likes hanging out next to my girls' pen. He shows up nice and early and crows to wake all the girls up. Well, that morning we woke to terrible cries and looked out the window to see this fox attacking Rudy. We ran out of the house in our pajamas yelling and waving our arms and the fox finally gave up and left Rudy behind. He had ripped a lot of feathers out of Rudy's back but there's no flesh wounds so I think he'll be ok. We talked the neighbor into letting us keep Rudy in the pen with our girls so that's where he is now. Don't think he's too happy about being penned but at least he's safe for now.

#71294 - 06/19/04 07:58 AM Re: YIKES - eagle in the chicken yard
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well he has been back every day. mad BUT all he does is sit in a tree and look down at the girls. At least he sits until all the crows come and chase him away. So - no free ranging for my girls. I am going to Walmart today to invest in a slingshot. I am hoping he will get tired of me taking potshots at him.

#71295 - 06/22/04 08:47 PM Re: YIKES - eagle in the chicken yard
Anonymous
Unregistered

we have Eagles and Hawks here, not to mention other large Birds of pray. I try and let my Chickens go outside for a while each day, and I have never had problems with them. maybe you could use Chicken Wire instead of netting? that would be stronger. or maybe even tin. I hope you the best and I hope that you don't have anymore trouble with that Eagle.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn