Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#71399 - 03/09/05 03:25 PM Re: advertising/selling eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here are some links to check out regarding handling, labeling and selling of eggs. As far as I have been able to figure out most "nest run" or small farm egg producers fall under state guidelines rather than federal, but most states do address this using the federal guidelines to some extent.

USDA,FSIS LAbeling Requirements for shell eggs
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/oppde/rdad/FSISDirectives/8840_1.htm

US Code: Title 21, Chapter 15 Egg products Inspection
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode21/usc_sup_01_21_10_15.html

CFR Title 21 database
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfCFR/CFRSearch.cfm

Many states have an Egg board...this is who regulates the sale of shell eggs here in Indiana. You may have to go to your respective extension agent to get the Egg Board Information for your state or the department of agriculture for your state.

Indiana Egg Board
http://www.ansc.purdue.edu/ISEB/welcome.htm

Illinois Egg laws are governed by the Illinois Dept of agriculture...a lot to wade through but here is the link to their Egg handing and selling regulations:
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=1576&ChapAct=410 ILCS 615/&ChapterID=35&ChapterName=PUBLIC+HEALTH&ActName=Illinois+Egg+and+Egg+Products+Act%2E

Hope this helps some.

#71400 - 03/10/05 04:03 AM Re: advertising/selling eggs
J. Waller Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Minnesota
Doesn't it just aggravate you when you read the regulations, etc that are conjured up somewhere? In Minnesota, we'er not supposed to burn garbage in a barrel, supposed to get a building permit, etc for every little project we do, supposed to get a burning permit for any brush, etc resulting from firewood cutting or clearing/cleaning up pasture, etc. My brother put up a storage shed at his lake lot. It was one foot too close to the neighbor's line. This was determined without a survey. The neighbor was my brother's sister in law-couldn't have cared less about one foot. Anyway, I too my trusty old Ford pickup and a cable. With aid of a 12 pack of beer, the Ford and I moved the shed a little over one foot. Nothing damaged-was fun, actually.

#71401 - 03/10/05 08:12 AM Re: advertising/selling eggs
J. Lee Offline
Chicken

Loc: Illinois
jwaller,
Yes it does. I live in a small town(1200 people). I have been looking for a job for a couple of months now and I have had no luck and I probably do not have the time now for a job other than the farm. I do have eggs and I enjoy making noodles. The man at the hardware store said he would send people my way. That is great but what if the wrong person comes. I would be in great debt over a few pennies in my pocket and enough money to feed the girls. There is nothing you can do in this state(Illinois) that is worth it anymore.

JLee

#71402 - 03/10/05 08:42 AM Re: advertising/selling eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by jwaller:
Doesn't it just aggravate you when you read the regulations, etc that are conjured up somewhere? In Minnesota, we'er not supposed to burn garbage in a barrel, supposed to get a building permit, etc for every little project we do, supposed to get a burning permit for any brush, etc resulting from firewood cutting or clearing/cleaning up pasture, etc.....
Right with ya there jwaller, I too am in Minnesota.

JoAnn
smile

#71403 - 03/12/05 09:39 PM Re: advertising/selling eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Zoo - thanks for those websites- interesting information! So then, grade A eggs are all certified by the government in meeting certain criteria? Actually, I've never seen any other grade but A in stores. And, apparently, even if you do have farm fresh eggs, you still have to adhere to some stringent requirements to be able to advertise them as such...at least that's my understanding.

#71404 - 03/15/05 07:40 AM Re: advertising/selling eggs
J. Henderson Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: New York
I've long wondered whether or not the government, when it established agricultural product grades of AA, A, and B (instead of A, B, and C) knew that could help promote deceptive marketing. I would guess that few consumers see Grade A on an egg carton and think they are getting a second class product.

#71405 - 03/15/05 07:59 AM Re: advertising/selling eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mare,
What you have to consider is the labeling requirements for your state. If NY requires that you candle, weigh etc, your farm eggs then you would label them accordingly. Many of the labeling requirements of the USDA apply specifically to commercial run eggs.

I do believe the "fresh" labeling is not allowed pretty much nationwide though. I've been trying to find that out specifically from the USDA at my H's plant but my H just got put on orders with the military so isn't at the plant right now. It would be awhile before I could verify it.

In Indiana we can sell "nest run" eggs from our property without any specific rules applying. If we sell at a farmers market though we are required to have a retail license(20.00), clean the eggs, label them with our name, address etc and they must be stamped with the date they are packed. They must be maintained at 45 deg or lower while at the market. We may RE-USE old cartons but they must be clean. No tax is charged on eggs themselves so at least that is one headache we don't have to worry about.

Check with your state egg board or ag/farm department to get the specifics for your state...they do differ.

Zoo

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn