Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#71389 - 03/07/05 06:50 AM advertising/selling eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was out of town and needed eggs. Couldn't use my own or buy from my local farmer, so headed to the store. There, the large commercial operations had tons of eggs for sale, as usual. I was looking for the local guys.

Just wanted to point out that for those of you who sell eggs, a good selling point, (for folks like me anyway) is to make sure you advertise that you are LOCAL and fresh. Of course, if you're cage free, all veggie feed, etc., all the better - make sure that's on the carton too. Print something that tells everyone, (even out of towners), that you're local - it help sell another carton!

#71390 - 03/07/05 07:03 AM Re: advertising/selling eggs
Tucson Chickens Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Arizona
I found out that in Arizona it is actually ILLEGAL to use the words "fresh", or "farm fresh" or any combination including "fresh" unless you are a state licensed egg producer, meaning you have the whole plant, sanitizer, egg sizer/grader, candle every egg for blood spots, and have a USDA inspection each and every month. You can be an "unclassified egg dealer" (last time I checked, however, the registration page has now mysteriously been removed online). As an "unclassified egg dealer" are then restricted to something like 250 dz/year and again cannot use "fresh". Personally, I have to admit that I have broken the "law" and sold "fresh" eggs to co-workers and neighbors. C'est la vie. If my buyers have problems with the eggs they know where to find me!

#71391 - 03/07/05 08:17 AM Re: advertising/selling eggs
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
Laws can be so stupid, it really irks me that so many laws end up punishing the wrong parties. I have been in the alcohol, firearms and animal businesses and it is so frustrating to try and do trade in a legal manner, more and more I say to Hell with the laws. It seems that laws protect the criminal element, which could be argued is the lawyers too.
The up side is that for every law there is a loophole!!

#71392 - 03/07/05 10:48 AM Re: advertising/selling eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Haven't gone into the restrictions on selling in the UK as I only get enough to sell to a few friends but the big selling point here isn't "fresh" because the big commercial egg producer's eggs have to be fresh in any case and "farm fresh" could still refer to a Battery farm.
Big thing here is "FREE RANGE"
Wouldn't that work in the USA?
The RSPCA also puts labels on free range and humanely reared produce which is another selling point.

#71393 - 03/07/05 11:10 AM Re: advertising/selling eggs
J. Lee Offline
Chicken

Loc: Illinois
I was wanting to find info for Illinois egg selling laws. If anyone has anything I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
JLee

#71394 - 03/07/05 07:07 PM Re: advertising/selling eggs
Tucson Chickens Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Arizona
Go to your Department of Agriculture page for Illinois.
As far as the UK, I know from doing a juice business there (whole other story), that the UK is among the STRICTEST when it comes to claims of "fresh", "organic", etc. No personal feeling about it, just an FYI.
I do sell my eggs as free range as they have a whole backyard to play in and mess up. However, I found out that some "whole foods" super store chains consider free range not having the birds caged but rather boxed in a room, again knowledge gained from the juice business.

#71395 - 03/08/05 05:56 AM Re: advertising/selling eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

It'd take some research, I suppose, but there are ways to advertise your eggs as "fresh" without actually using the word "fresh". (fingangling with the English language to skip around some of these legalities.) I'm not suggesting breaking the law - but, hey, if you've got good, wholesome, FRESH, eggs - figure out a way to advertise it without getting into a legal tangle. The carton I ended up buying had a cute slogan that definitely let me, the out-of-town consumer, know that they were fresh and local. (hint - using words like "fresher" etc...you get it.)

Also, make sure the carton is clean as a whistle. I saw some cartons with brown stain on them, (don't know what it was, but it was visually a turn-off) and so those cartons were passed over.

#71396 - 03/08/05 07:37 AM Re: advertising/selling eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ohio Dept. of Agriculture
Chapter 925: Marketing
Subsection 925.02.4 Use of terms in sale of eggs.

No person shall sell, offer for sale, or advertise for sale shell eggs as "No. 1", "specials", "fancy", "direct from farm", "quality eggs", "hennery eggs", "fresh eggs", "new laid eggs", or "strictly fresh eggs", or any other name of similar import that do not meet the minimum requirements for United States consumer grade A.

In Ohio, there are different requirements based on production levels and marketing methods. I sell eggs STRICTLY from my farm (no off-farm sales, no farmers' markets, nothing, nada) AND I maintain a flock of fewer than 500 laying hens. My operation is governed by the Ohio Dept. of Agriculture. If I want to begin to sell eggs off premise, I will have to comply with the local (county) health department regulations and obtain an itenerate vendor's license. If I should miscount the number of chickens I have and end up with 500 rather than 499, I then become responsible to comply with federal regs and county regs and have annual inspections by both fed and county agents. BUT, as long as I only have 499 chickens (laying hens - I can have all the roosters I want) AND only sell from my property, no one really gives a damn. I AM subject to state inspection, but the person I talked to with the state said that they rarely inspect small producers unless they have an indication of a problem.

I have often wondered how "they" came up with the number "500"....

#71397 - 03/08/05 07:59 AM Re: advertising/selling eggs
J. Lee Offline
Chicken

The only thing I found for Illinois was that if I am to sell eggs for human consumption then I have to inspect and grade the eggs and also pay for a license. It is a $15 fee if you have a flock of 3000 birds or less not to mention the inspection fee. If I sell less than 600 cases of eggs per year then an annual report is sent to me. The fee for this is 6 cents per 30 dozen case.

For someone like me, who has a few hens and a couple dozen of eggs to spare, I am not sure it is worth going thru the hassel. But then again, what hassel is it when they don't get their cut??

#71398 - 03/08/05 03:35 PM Re: advertising/selling eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

JLee, go to a health food store in your area that sells eggs, they will know the law. I'm in MO and would have to pay a small license fee, but they would come unannounced to inspect my chickenhouse and who knows what other aggravation I might have. I only have about 20 hens and would have sold to the health food store as she requested, but for me it wasn't worth the possible aggravation and extra paperwork. I have a few customers and keep our kids & their families in eggs.
Good Luck,
Missourigal

#71399 - 03/09/05 03:25 PM Re: advertising/selling eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here are some links to check out regarding handling, labeling and selling of eggs. As far as I have been able to figure out most "nest run" or small farm egg producers fall under state guidelines rather than federal, but most states do address this using the federal guidelines to some extent.

USDA,FSIS LAbeling Requirements for shell eggs
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/oppde/rdad/FSISDirectives/8840_1.htm

US Code: Title 21, Chapter 15 Egg products Inspection
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode21/usc_sup_01_21_10_15.html

CFR Title 21 database
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfCFR/CFRSearch.cfm

Many states have an Egg board...this is who regulates the sale of shell eggs here in Indiana. You may have to go to your respective extension agent to get the Egg Board Information for your state or the department of agriculture for your state.

Indiana Egg Board
http://www.ansc.purdue.edu/ISEB/welcome.htm

Illinois Egg laws are governed by the Illinois Dept of agriculture...a lot to wade through but here is the link to their Egg handing and selling regulations:
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=1576&ChapAct=410 ILCS 615/&ChapterID=35&ChapterName=PUBLIC+HEALTH&ActName=Illinois+Egg+and+Egg+Products+Act%2E

Hope this helps some.

#71400 - 03/10/05 04:03 AM Re: advertising/selling eggs
J. Waller Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Minnesota
Doesn't it just aggravate you when you read the regulations, etc that are conjured up somewhere? In Minnesota, we'er not supposed to burn garbage in a barrel, supposed to get a building permit, etc for every little project we do, supposed to get a burning permit for any brush, etc resulting from firewood cutting or clearing/cleaning up pasture, etc. My brother put up a storage shed at his lake lot. It was one foot too close to the neighbor's line. This was determined without a survey. The neighbor was my brother's sister in law-couldn't have cared less about one foot. Anyway, I too my trusty old Ford pickup and a cable. With aid of a 12 pack of beer, the Ford and I moved the shed a little over one foot. Nothing damaged-was fun, actually.

#71401 - 03/10/05 08:12 AM Re: advertising/selling eggs
J. Lee Offline
Chicken

jwaller,
Yes it does. I live in a small town(1200 people). I have been looking for a job for a couple of months now and I have had no luck and I probably do not have the time now for a job other than the farm. I do have eggs and I enjoy making noodles. The man at the hardware store said he would send people my way. That is great but what if the wrong person comes. I would be in great debt over a few pennies in my pocket and enough money to feed the girls. There is nothing you can do in this state(Illinois) that is worth it anymore.

JLee

#71402 - 03/10/05 08:42 AM Re: advertising/selling eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by jwaller:
Doesn't it just aggravate you when you read the regulations, etc that are conjured up somewhere? In Minnesota, we'er not supposed to burn garbage in a barrel, supposed to get a building permit, etc for every little project we do, supposed to get a burning permit for any brush, etc resulting from firewood cutting or clearing/cleaning up pasture, etc.....
Right with ya there jwaller, I too am in Minnesota.

JoAnn
smile

#71403 - 03/12/05 09:39 PM Re: advertising/selling eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Zoo - thanks for those websites- interesting information! So then, grade A eggs are all certified by the government in meeting certain criteria? Actually, I've never seen any other grade but A in stores. And, apparently, even if you do have farm fresh eggs, you still have to adhere to some stringent requirements to be able to advertise them as such...at least that's my understanding.

#71404 - 03/15/05 07:40 AM Re: advertising/selling eggs
J. Henderson Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: New York
I've long wondered whether or not the government, when it established agricultural product grades of AA, A, and B (instead of A, B, and C) knew that could help promote deceptive marketing. I would guess that few consumers see Grade A on an egg carton and think they are getting a second class product.

#71405 - 03/15/05 07:59 AM Re: advertising/selling eggs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mare,
What you have to consider is the labeling requirements for your state. If NY requires that you candle, weigh etc, your farm eggs then you would label them accordingly. Many of the labeling requirements of the USDA apply specifically to commercial run eggs.

I do believe the "fresh" labeling is not allowed pretty much nationwide though. I've been trying to find that out specifically from the USDA at my H's plant but my H just got put on orders with the military so isn't at the plant right now. It would be awhile before I could verify it.

In Indiana we can sell "nest run" eggs from our property without any specific rules applying. If we sell at a farmers market though we are required to have a retail license(20.00), clean the eggs, label them with our name, address etc and they must be stamped with the date they are packed. They must be maintained at 45 deg or lower while at the market. We may RE-USE old cartons but they must be clean. No tax is charged on eggs themselves so at least that is one headache we don't have to worry about.

Check with your state egg board or ag/farm department to get the specifics for your state...they do differ.

Zoo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn