Topic Options
#71515 - 08/14/07 10:23 PM What breeds go with...
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have a New Hampshire hen - Jenna. She is around 3-4 years old.
We are looking at getting her some companions after her previous companion passed away about 2 months ago.

We were interested in getting a couple of silkies, would that breed interact well with a New Hampshire? Can they get along? They will be free-ranged for the most part but will be all kept in one coop together at nights and during storms etc. They will also have free run of the inside of the house (because we've given up trying to keep Jenna out).
I hear silkies are great pet chooks? And great with kids? I have a 7 year old aspie (asperger's sydrome) girl that loves animals...

Advice muchly appreciated.
Thanks!
Sarah

#71516 - 08/14/07 11:01 PM Re: What breeds go with...
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
If you get two more chickens, they will stay together and will not likely be friends with Jenna at all. Just one more New Hampshire pullet would have the best chance of becoming friends--if Jenna permitted it.

Silkies may be great pets, as they can't fly and so may be more easily cornered and caught than feathered chickens, but they can still run pretty fast. But "birds of a feather" is pretty true. Whatever you get, it will be a lucky thing, if Jenna likes it! Still worth the try! Good luck, CJR

#71517 - 08/15/07 03:01 AM Re: What breeds go with...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thankyou!

Do you think they could co-habitate nicely? Or would Jenna run them off? I'm ok with her not being 'friends' with the new chicks, but I would like them to be able to cohabitate.

Is that possible?

#71518 - 08/15/07 08:09 AM Re: What breeds go with...
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Who knows? No one can say, you have to give it a try. If you have room and the Silkies can be protected until they are large enough to hold their own--could be just fine! Unlikely companions occur all the time--as well as some birds that never get along--all the way to savaging.
And are you are forgeting that Jenna lost her previous friend?--and so, is always at risk herself, as all our birds are, in one way or another! Having a couple of extra birds to enjoy, is most always as good thing. Good luck! CJR

#71519 - 08/15/07 02:10 PM Re: What breeds go with...
Anonymous
Unregistered

We wouldnt put them together until the new ones were as large as they can grow. They'd be allowed to free-range together for a couple of hours a day - supervised, but then we have a separate coop that the new chickens would be placed in for most of the time. And Jenna would stay in hers. Eventually we'd integrate, monitoring closely.
It would seem to me that it would be very much like introducing male rats.

And as long as the new birds didn't try to get in the way of her contact and manipulation of us, I think Jenna would settle. She only picked on Cassie for a week or so and then they settled into a stable acceptance of each other.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn