Topic Options
#71845 - 03/13/04 08:18 PM "Straight run?"
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am thinking of buying some chicks, possibly from McMurray's, and I was wondering when they don't give you male and female and it gives a price and says straight run, what does that mean? I would sure appreciate any help. Thanks.
Holli

#71846 - 03/13/04 08:29 PM Re: "Straight run?"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Straight run...not sexed. You got a 50/50 chance of either sex. The smaller the order the better the chance of more roos than hens or visa versa.

I buy my Bantam from Ideal poultry. They allow small orders. $20 dollar min but no min on quantity of birds. Order just has to be at least 20 bucks. They take paypal too. I'm sorry, frown I really like Ideal Poulrty. Nice people, nice birds.

So far it has always been good and runs close to 50/50 on the Bantams I've bought.

Its a flip of the coin. You can end up with alot of the wrong sex, or the right sex. confused :rolleyes:

Hope that helped.

#71847 - 03/16/04 12:02 PM Re: "Straight run?"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks so much Shanti,

I was hoping there was another place also to order from where you did not have to buy at least 25 chicks. I am so excited. My chicks should arrive next week-25 of them. Could you tell me what exactly broody or brooding means? Also more about candling? Anything you could tell me would be a great help. Thanks again for your reply.
Holli

#71848 - 03/16/04 01:47 PM Re: "Straight run?"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi fatcat78,

Broody, Brooding...A hen that wants to sit and hatch an egg. I have read all sorts of ways to 'break them' if you done want them doing it. I also read about hens that sit all the time and some that sit for just a short while.

I had one hen that went broody. During her broody period, there were no fertile eggs, as I have no rooster, so I retrieved eggs as they were layed, anyhow, she would sit on anything 'round' and wait for it to hatch. She got so bad that I seperated her and she still sat on 'air'. She didnt stop her broodiness untill 2 months had past. Meanwhile I had returned her to the coop since seperating her didnt stop her from sitting. One day she just got up and stopped her sitting. I guess she finally realized that even if she wants babies, it aint happening.

As for candling, do a google search for 'candling eggs' and you will find tons of info. I candle all my eggs that I artifically incubate to make sure there developing properly. It really cool to candle an egg and see the heartbeat!

The best candler light is the probe-lite by MDS. I dont know what I'd do without it. It has a long flexible neck so you dont even have to move the eggs to candle them. Theres a pic at the bottom of this www page: http://www.signalherp.com/products.htm

There are a few places on the internet to buy them. I dont even remember where I bought mine from. My probe-lite is over 10 yeras old and still my most important item for my bird hobby.
They also sell them at, http://www.dblrsupply.com/index-incubators.php?page=/store/incubatorcandlers.html

Hope that helps.
smile Good Day !!

#71849 - 03/16/04 10:23 PM Re: "Straight run?"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Shanti,

I went to Ideal and looked, that site is awesome! They have such a variety and very reasonably priced. Also, their in Texas and I'm in OK so not much traveling distance for the little chicks. Thanks again so much for your help. Holli

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn