Topic Options
#72006 - 05/09/05 09:36 PM Worming baby chicks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey yall, I know I haven't been here in awhile, I've just been sooo busy with gardening and raising my baby chicks smile

OK, my chicks are five weeks old now, so when do I worm them? And what product is cheapest and the best to worm with?

Thanks for the help.

~Naturelady~

#72007 - 05/09/05 10:52 PM Re: Worming baby chicks
Anonymous
Unregistered

It is not necessary to worm chicks, or chickens for that matter, unless there is signs of problems associated with worms: weight loss, anemia, general droopiness, to name a few.
To worm them just 'because' can open a can of worms, so to speak, by starting a vicious cycle and causing the worms to become resistant to the medication.
Good, clean management can go a long way towards saving your flock stress, your time, your money and more. But it is for you to decide what is best.
Try using the search function in the upper right corner and you'll likely get some more detailed information, as well as varying opinions.

Good cLuck

TC
cool

#72008 - 05/10/05 11:43 AM Re: Worming baby chicks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow, I thought you had to worm chickens just because. When I raised them several years ago, I wormed them a few times a year, but I forgot what I had used, I think it was a pink liquid I added to their water called peprizine or something, but I cant remember exactly.

My chicks are looking and acting happy and they are growing fast, and they do have a clean environment, so I'll just chill out on thinking I gatta worm them LOL. And I'll keep watch for signs of worminess.

Thanks TC for the reply smile

#72009 - 05/10/05 07:22 PM Re: Worming baby chicks
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
I would never worm a baby chick! Piperazine is the wormer of choice, but as long as chickens of any age are thrifty, good flesh and plumage (except for normal molting) I would never worm my chickens. You need to use it carefully according to instructions. Never worm sick chickens--it is a poison-- and why risk it. If you suspect worms, take a fecal sample to your vet and identify whether they have them, enough to warrant worming--and what kind? Save your money until/if it seems important to worm them. Some parts of the country may recommend regular worming, here in the northern tier of states where ground freezes deeply--it is seldom necessary. CJR

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn