Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#72036 - 07/28/04 12:45 PM Stupid silkie
WeatherWood Gardens Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Wisconsin
I have some young silkies that I just put into the range with my d'uccles.The d'uccles are hatching chicks and one landed by a silkie hen! (nest boxes on the wall above the pen)She doen't let it out of her line of vision,she clucks and sits on it and has a fit when I give it to the cluck in charge of chicks(she steals it away!)I never had silkies before and this is very funny!Is this normal? I have noticed other odd things like they clump together to sleep one big puff ball on the floor not using the dropping pit roost.I think they are the fluff brain of birds.

#72037 - 07/28/04 01:44 PM Re: Stupid silkie
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Silkies are different--just accept that. They cannot fly like other bantams (although they run like anything if you try to catch one). When I had Silkies (I never thought of them as "stupid", but just requiring a little different management from other chickens.) I would not mix Silkies with other breeds, as they are at a disadvantage, not seeing as well with their topknots, and not being able to fly out of range if accosted.

I gave my Silkies wooden roost boxes, on the floor, they only had to hop up about 14" and were easy to empty every week or two. (Apple boxes--no longer easily available, with roosts, 1"x2" nailed across the top, if the bottom has a piece of pastic and a few shavings--they empty out dry and clean! Their nest boxes were also on the floor, Cardboard, or also apple boxes on their sides, but with a 4" board across the front to keep the straw in. Two foot wire dividers kept each hen and chicks separated into their own quarters. I never let them outside on wet grass, so their feathers on feet and legs were clean and not worn off.
I miss my Silkies--they were such lovely mothers, great layers, and although I will never forget the first cock (Mikimoto) who got very agressive--had to give him away. Others, over the years, were friendly, quiet birds and a joy to watch out on the lawn!

Just don't expect them to be like other bantams--they aren't! CJR

#72038 - 07/28/04 01:54 PM Re: Stupid silkie
Anonymous
Unregistered

My Silkie girls love sitting on eggs and, yes, they steal eggs from others all the time. They often go broody and are hard to break up. But they are so sweet. Sleeping in a pile is the preferred method and even my cochin will join them on the floor. I recently purchased three chicks which my two Silkies are raising jointly. Two wonderful mothers to protect against cats and crows and bothersome humans. I found that the Silkies stick together (I call them the evil step-sisters) and often ignore and peck at my cochin. The new babies are cochins and I'm hoping for one pullet to keep my older cochin company.

#72039 - 07/28/04 02:15 PM Re: Stupid silkie
Coop Keeper

Don't get me wrong I think they are great just a bit (blond)!At this young age to sit on a chick was such a suprise!They are in with my d'uccles which are easy and they get along very well!Just to see a big puff on the ground was so odd.A living breathing puff!The silkies are running the show in the coop as they are bigger then my d'uccles and they must have a lone brain for all of them as they do eveything together!They have now taken over the d'uccle chicks from my red d'uccle and she has taken to follow the silkie around as a lost chick herself.Silkies do not follow bird basics!

#72040 - 07/28/04 02:24 PM Re: Stupid silkie
Anonymous
Unregistered

OOo i love my silkies. they're my first experience with chickens and to be honest if i never have another breed of bird i'd still be happy. they have even tempers, are excellent mommies, & are absolutely beautiful birds

"stupid" - well, nope, i don't think they're stupid at all! they're quite smart actually - ours have even discovered that under the bug zapper is a great place to find snacks! They also ONLY come running over by me when i go out back if i am carrying something - be it a plate with my lunch or a bowl with their snacks in it -- if i come outside empty handed they keep at whatever they were doing

they're very social - i've added birds to taken birds away from my little silkie colony and always the newcomers are welcome & the ones who hit the road are missed. *everybody* raised our chicks after the first couple of days. i've yet to see any sort of meanness in any of them

all in all i think of all the breeds one can have as "pets" - silkies rate #1. the only problem i have with them is i worry when broodiness hits, but even that is ok

and they're attempt at flying -- LOL! round fluff balls flapping their wings as they run across the yard trying to catch up with whoever thinks they found the golden beetle!

i dunno -- call me a true silkie enthusiast i guess

#72041 - 07/28/04 02:26 PM Re: Stupid silkie
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by weatherwood:
Don't get me wrong I think they are great just a bit (blond)!At this young age to sit on a chick was such a suprise!
MrsFrizzbee hatched out her first clutch of chicks and raised them herself @ around 5 mos old

#72042 - 07/28/04 02:35 PM Re: Stupid silkie
Coop Keeper

that young and working on hatching. I have never raised these birds ever!After 20 years of working with birds I wanted some.I never expected the bird to be anything other then another bird with a "HAT".OK not stupid silkie stupid me.No one I knew had them so I didn't know what I was getting.Funny,I like them just they are not what I normally deal with.
So they don't roost and they steal babies,what else?

#72043 - 07/28/04 05:13 PM Re: Stupid silkie
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have 3 silkie hens (collectivly called the 3 stooges) and a rooster living together in a chook tractor in my orchard. They are totally different to other breeds.
They all come rushing over to see what I have when I am out near their enclosure and make sweet little contented clucky noises when I bring them a treat. They don't mind being picked up. The rooster is a bit stand-offish though and thoroughly checks over his ladies when I put them back down in case I've damaged them.
It does take them a while to realise they are getting wet when it rains and they look really miserable when wet.
They are great mothers. I sometimes think that their head is as fluffy inside as outside :rolleyes: but their great nature more than makes up for any odd behaviour they exhibit on occasion.
Love my silkies! smile

#72044 - 07/28/04 09:12 PM Re: Stupid silkie
Vesper 35 Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Canada
I love my silkies too, but I would like to be able to sex them. Do I have to wait for "crow time" or is there another reliable method? Thanx.

#72045 - 07/29/04 07:02 AM Re: Stupid silkie
Coop Keeper

OH boy (hit the head) silkies have no real feathers.To get some kind of lift to roost they need lift when they flap.No roosting for them! laugh
Last night they got close to the coop door and waited for big mom(me) to push them trough the door(they go in and out all day long)I think they feel special as I do my checking them and each one gets held and patted then put to bed.as my DH said I have spoiled the little puff balls and this has become a bed time story for them.At least they are fun to hold and cute as buttons.

#72046 - 07/30/04 11:28 AM Re: Stupid silkie
Anonymous
Unregistered

my roosts are only about a foot off the ground - this is as high as i have noticed them easily hopping -- they *can* make it about 18 -24 inches but that's a stretch

The usually prefer to sleep in a barn-shaped box my husband built for them (it's darned cute & it's matching silo is on his workbench) They spend a lot of time in and on their little barn.

MrsFrizzbee is the only pullet i have laying right now... 90% of the time she lays IN the little barn not in the nesty box - the other 10% she lays on the ground in some hay she scratches together to make a nest. Whenever she DOES lay she makes such a fuss and sings so much that there's no problem knowing it and snagging the egg right away. We're actually hoping the silo box which is smaller in diameter will become more to her liking for laying, but there's no telling a silkie what to do.

MrsFrizzbee LOVES to dirt bath -- no, i did NOT say dustbath - i said DIRT. She's at her happiest making herself brown by digging down into the dirt in my garden. i'm not sure if it's because we're in FLorida and it's hot here and the moist earth is cool or what - but she's a real mud bunny.

#72047 - 07/30/04 03:10 PM Re: Stupid silkie
Spotted Crow Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Massachusetts
One of my chicken friends is cornering the Silkie market, I swear.I think she's got every colour except for Skyblue pink with purple polka dots eek I am so jealous!! They seem like really great birds. I think the thought of a shared brain is hysterical. Almost like the Griae, the grey sisters with the one shared eye in Greek Mythology. I can almost picture the Silkies chasing each other saying "it's my turn with the brain, give it to me."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn