Topic Options
#72228 - 07/02/06 09:57 AM i have a strange problem
Anonymous
Unregistered

My chickens and pigeons are seperated by chicken wire. One of my hens has been escaping to the pigeon side. Now I've never had a problem with her being over ther before but today I caught her kicking the pigeon off her eggs. I think they are probably chicken eggs because they are brown, I've only seen my pigeons lay white eggs and they are bigger than I think is normal for a pigeon. anyhow, I fixed the hole in the fence and now my hen is paceing back and forth franticly along the fence wanting to get to her eggs. what would you do?

#72229 - 07/02/06 10:39 AM Re: i have a strange problem
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
First place a cardboard or other view blocking hanging between the pens, where she is pacing, just her height, so she cannot see over easily. (temporary)

Then, I would place a nest box, with her eggs in it, along that boundary wire. If you choose a cardboard box that you close up and cut a hole out the side, large enough for her to enter easily and hold in some straw or nesting material, then place all of her eggs from the Pigeon nest, in the box, she MAY be so anxious to lay, that she will move into the box and, finding her other eggs there, may settle down. You have to do this ASAP. Not too difficult!

Otherwise, you will just have to wait it out. And she will be frantic to lay her egg, which may just drop on the floor of her present pen. And she will repeat the performance for a while. Too bad you did not find her eggs earlier, a hen DOES get so attached to her nest, whereever it is located, that they do not want to change locations. You can do it! Good luck CJR

#72230 - 07/02/06 01:38 PM Re: i have a strange problem
Anonymous
Unregistered

the thing is, the eggs could possibly belong to the pigeons. there are 2 of the larger brown eggs under one pigeon in a box and two more under the pigeon in the next box. those pigeons are really trying to protect those eggs. When the hen went over there today they got in a fight which made me curious because she hasn't done that before. maybe i should just let the pigeons hatch out whatever birds they may be. I don't know.

#72231 - 07/02/06 02:52 PM Re: i have a strange problem
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Well, that is okay, if you are right there when they hatch! A hen cannot raise squabs and pigeons cannot raise chicks. Of course, if they do not hatch at the time pigeons eggs should--and head for the 21 days of your chickens eggs, you may really be in a spot, as the hen, unless she is setting "tight", would not take hatched chicks--you will have to raise them--that's okay, too.

Meantime, for the peace of mind of the little hen, do try to give her a nest, out of sight of the pigeon nest--on her own side of the fence. You can put a fake egg or golf ball in her new nest box to hope she will accept it! But make it a closed box, if you can--she is more apt to accept the dark interior.

However, her anxiety to get back to the pigeons side, does make one think they are her eggs????

You will just have to work this out---and good luck!!!CJR

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn