Topic Options
#72268 - 09/24/05 05:23 PM Rooster beating up one hen
Eatnbugz Offline
Bantam

Loc: Oklahoma
I have 8 standard cochin hens, one standard cochin roo, two bantams, and one standard silver laced polish hen. All were getting along great until last couple of days, the rooster seems to be attaking the polish hen even runs her around the property. I noticed today she was visiting one of my 3 silver crested polish roosters (in seperate pens) right before he started attacking her.. I have had all kinds of chickens for the last 19 years and never saw anything like it. Also noticed he is a HOG, he doesnt feed the hens but tries to beat them to the treats i feed.. any knowledge in this arena would be great..

#72269 - 09/24/05 06:52 PM Re: Rooster beating up one hen
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
You are just experiencing the variations in individual chickens--there is no end of it--no two are alike. Some you like and are dependable, others you can part with or separate into different quarters, some you keep to old age and some you eat. It has nothing to do with how they behaved yesterday or last week

Good luck, CJR

#72270 - 09/24/05 07:14 PM Re: Rooster beating up one hen
Eatnbugz Offline
Bantam

Wow CJR, member number 7!? Thanks for answering. So do you suggest that if i dont like his behavior i should get a new rooster? Or that he might not do it anymore? Was thinking about getting one anyway next spring.
But i definately cant eat him.

#72271 - 09/24/05 07:51 PM Re: Rooster beating up one hen
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm going through the same problem as you are eatnbugz.

My Rooster has been showing his true side these past few weeks. being a selfish Aggressive Hog. he usually doesn't show this behavior till feeding time when he heads straight for the feed being the first one there. he starts to pig down on the Layer feed pecking at any who come near. the only one allowed to eat with him is my other Rooster, and that is only because he is too much of a whimp to try and chase him off. he will allow one or two Hens to eat with him but he never allows my other three Hens to have any feed. his least favorites being my Silver Spangled Hamburg Hen, White Crested Black Polish Hen, and Golden Laced Wyandotte Hen. every time that they come near to him he will glance up at them and then chase them around the run trying to peck at them. then he returns right back to his feed. he will actually stand there eating and eating till every last piece is gone. while the others wander off he stays near the food eating and eating away for all he is worth. I usually now put some feed in two areas so all can get some and he will wander from one spot to the next trying to eat all of it. and to top it off he is very aggressive towards humans.

He will actually steal the food out of the Hens mouths.

I too couldn't kill him or eat him. having to live with his aggressive behavior for over three years I am getting sick of it, yet I couldn't just throw him out. I might try to find him a new home...

#72272 - 09/24/05 07:54 PM Re: Rooster beating up one hen
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is there any chance that you could put her in with the other Polish?

#72273 - 09/24/05 08:17 PM Re: Rooster beating up one hen
Eatnbugz Offline
Bantam

Rachel, I could put her in there but the run he is in isnt very big, and she really enjoys the company of the other 10 hens. The hens and Cochin have run of our five acres and Im not sure she like the penned ole boy enough to not have run of the yard. As for mean roosters, I've had my share of them, but lucky for me i have a husband who takes care of that problem for me. And its sort of out of my hands when one flogs my two year old in the face! But i must say i really dont deal well with the ones who bite the hand that feeds them. Think this spring when i get my next ten Standard Cochin hens i'll order me another rooster too, and see how that makes him (the hog) feel.

#72274 - 09/25/05 04:21 PM Re: Rooster beating up one hen
Lacey Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Pennsylvania
I've never thought of a rooster not being generous to his ladies. My rooster big red feeds his girls and lets him take the food right out of his mouth, i wonder sometimes how he isnt skin and bones! He is such a gentleman in that way (and such a man in the love department, he only thinks about one thing) My little silkie rooster hasnt spent much time with the girls but from what i've seen he tries to show them food but they dont like him and stay away. What i think is the girls need the food more then the rooster. If he is going to chase one hen then he should be locked up. Big red would chase to mate and it really scared the girls when they werent in the mood (being a prey animal anything chasing them is like a predator) so i got sick of it and he doesnt free range with them any more.

#72275 - 09/25/05 06:48 PM Re: Rooster beating up one hen
Anonymous
Unregistered

My other Rooster, Rusty, does share food with the Hens. he will call them over to feed with him and will even allow them to pluck food from his mouth. but My Rooster, Rodney, cares more about himself and eats it all.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn