Topic Options
#72375 - 10/26/05 05:30 AM standard rooster/bantam hen
Nolte Offline
Bantam

Loc: Minnesota
I bought an "assortment" of bantam chicks 3 months ago, and my "free exotic" chick seems to be a standard size rooster. We named him Goliath from the start since even in the shipping box he dwarfed the others. It's not been a problem until now I see he is trying to mount the bantam hens. Will he hurt them? They are much smaller than him. If there are chicks, will they be standard or bantam?

#72376 - 10/26/05 06:30 AM Re: standard rooster/bantam hen
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
The chicks, if any will probably be a mixture of the two. They will probably be medium sized and you could possibly get a few smaller or bigger birds mixed in there. He could possibly hurt the hens because of his size. If the hens can't seem to support his weight when he's trying to mount them, I'd consider getting a different BANTAM rooster. This will probably happen, but you could give him a chance to try.

#72377 - 10/26/05 06:40 AM Re: standard rooster/bantam hen
Nolte Offline
Bantam

Thanks. I have plenty of bantam roosters (at least 11 out of the 26). If Goliath hurts them I will have to find him a new home (no way to isolate him in my coop especially with winter coming) or he will have to go to the freezer!

#72378 - 10/26/05 11:47 AM Re: standard rooster/bantam hen
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
I don't bother isolating roosters unless they are injured or sick, or getting ready to show. I really hope this all works out! Especially if you are attached to him!

#72379 - 10/26/05 05:51 PM Re: standard rooster/bantam hen
Nolte Offline
Bantam

He's a really nice Easter Egger I think. He's not bothering them at all this afternoon, so maybe it will be OK. Thanks for the advice!

#72380 - 10/26/05 06:52 PM Re: standard rooster/bantam hen
Eatnbugz Offline
Bantam

Loc: Oklahoma
I had a full sized Crested Polish Roo who decided to take a liking to my 2 bantam hens other than my other 9 standards, about two weeks later my cochin bantam hen looked like she had been scalped (he'd pulled all her head feathers out mounting her) but he didnt want anything to do with any of the other hens.. he found a wonderful father-in-law with standard hens where he now rules the roost. Standard roos, dont do your bantam hens a favor.. he is larger than they are for a reason.. lol... good luck.

#72381 - 10/29/05 04:56 AM Re: standard rooster/bantam hen
Nolte Offline
Bantam

Update....I sent pictues of the chicks to McMurray (where I got them from) and they say the rooster is just big but not a standard size, is a bantam auracana. He is leaving the tiny OEG hens alone for now as far as I can see, and none of them show any signs of injury at this point. So maybe he will get to stay!

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn