Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#72568 - 07/20/03 12:32 PM Re: Basic broody hen management 101
Anonymous
Unregistered

Pattie, about 9-14 days is when ours find true day time independence .They still sleep under ,besides,and on mom untill 3-4 weeks and unless mom has a prime spot on the roost or immediatly goes broody again [insert rolling eyes here]they'll sleep near her a while longer.I don't know for how long ,I'll have to ask Brian when he gets back from camp.

#72569 - 07/20/03 12:37 PM Re: Basic broody hen management 101
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, her last clutch, she really weaned them. She pecked them and would not let them get near her anymore. They were very scared of her and still are. So, I am watching closely with this bunch. I have a covered run for them with light bulb if necessary. So far tho, she is very protective.

#72570 - 07/20/03 12:53 PM Re: Basic broody hen management 101
Anonymous
Unregistered

Maybe ours do that also,its never been witnessed however.I'v never seen a chick fear its mom either no matter what the age.It proves the point that everyones situation is differnt.

#72571 - 07/20/03 05:24 PM Re: Basic broody hen management 101
Anonymous
Unregistered

Susie,

Thanks for the advice. I have been locking her in the kennel so she stays there. I'm glad to hear that coming out once a day is enough. Yesterday, I tried to let her out in the evening too and she showed no interest. In the morning when I open the door to the kennel, she comes right out and starts eating. It isn't 10-15 minutes though until she is back on the nest. I guess I'll just let her out once a day. It seems she is content with that.

Once it gets close to the time to hatch, can I move her to another pen or would that upset her too much? I was thinking of picking up and moving the dog kennel that she is in during the night. The eggs should hatch three weeks from today on a Sunday and I will be out of town the Thursday before until Sunday night. My husband will be taking care of the chickens while I am gone and I would like it if he didn't have to worry about watching mama and chicks while they are in the same coop with the other hens and roosters. If I move the kennel on the Tuesday before I go out of town, that will be day 16. What do you think?

#72572 - 07/20/03 06:23 PM Re: Basic broody hen management 101
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: Arkansas
If you move the kennel, I would guess that it would work. I have moved hens completely, with no familiar nest going with them and had no problems. Others have had the hen abandon the nest. So there is no definite answer but moving the whole kennel is much more likely to work than not. And I've moved them from day 1 all the way to just a couple of days before hatch, without incident. I think I've been lucky so far as I know some won't tolerate it but I think you'll have better luck moving her the longer she has been sitting.

And yes, once a day is plenty for her to get up. I've had hens hold the nest so tight that they weren't getting up at all so I had to physically remove them once a day and encourage them to eat. They do sort of physically "shut down" so their needs aren't the same as when they are active.

Susie

#72573 - 07/25/03 04:02 PM Re: Basic broody hen management 101
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well so far so good. My broody hen is starting to get in the routine. In the morning, I go to the coop and open the dog kennel and she comes out to eat and drink and preen herself. While she is out, I go and feed and water our broiler chicks that are out on pasture. When I come back, she is sitting back on her eggs and I lock her back in the kennel.

This morning I had to laugh. When I came back to lock her up, there she is sitting on the roost and softly clucking, sort of a frustrated and not very happy cluck. I looked in the kennel and there was one of my black sex-link hens sitting on the eggs. I pulled the black hen off the eggs and my white rock hen jumped off the roost and strutted around the dog kennel and then went inside and took up her spot on the incubating eggs. Then my black hen jumped up on the perch of the nest boxes and started doing the most indignent clucking you ever heard.

My husband said that my white rock hen just hired some "day care" for her eggs while she was off getting a bite to eat. LOL! I guess the day care worker must have wanted more hours. smile

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn