Topic Options
#72577 - 08/05/03 05:19 AM when do roos crow?
Anonymous
Unregistered

What age do Roos start crowing? all the chicks I bought in May were female except 2 silkies that were straight run. Being silkies they are very hard to distinguish. One is slightly larger than the other but I haven't heard more than contented clucks from either. If the larger one is male shouldn't I hear him crowing by now? The neighbors down the road who got chicks at the same time have a cock for sure, I hear Him!If he is indeed a he I do not intend to keep him as I think any chicks hatched will be a funny crossbreed, all the rest of my hens are wyandottes & orpingtons.

#72578 - 08/05/03 05:45 AM Re: when do roos crow?
Spotted Crow Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Massachusetts
My Jerry whose a Leghorn crowed for the first time at a couple of days before he was 8 weeks old. So I guess it's just a matter of preference. i guess he had nothing to say before then smile

#72579 - 08/05/03 03:52 PM Re: when do roos crow?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Silkies are miserably hard to sex for those that have not raised them for a little while. Many times you just have to wait for the crow which may take anywhere from 12-26 weeks depending on the bird.

Here is a good Silkie chicken link. There is a good article on sexing silkies a bit down on the page.

Surfing with Silkies
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Park/3826/

#72580 - 08/06/03 01:31 AM Re: when do roos crow?
Anonymous
Unregistered

About 8 weeks old they make their first, unrefined crow. They usually start crowing slightly before a hen of the same age would start laying. They do, however show rooster characteristics (clucking noises, etc.) a short time before they do their first crow.
See ya! smile smile smile

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn