Topic Options
#72597 - 10/09/05 10:18 AM Hiding Hen
David Offline
Bantam

Loc: Connecticut
Recently one of my hens (red sex-link) started spending alot of time in the coop. At first my wife thought she went broody because everytime she went out during the day she was in the same nesting box sitting on eggs, but then she would finally come out of the coop at some point during the day and stay out for a few hours at least. She is roosting at night with the rest of our feathered friends, she looks to be healthy minus her bare back thanks to our lovely roo! I recently added 5 more red sex links (probably 2 months ago) They all are doing well, yet they all dont roost together, the new birds stay on another roost, but no fighting and they all for the most part free range together. (We don't have a run, they free range) Any ideas? Is she just hiding from an aggressive hen? Or trying to get away from the roo? I don't know what to do with her, oh, she doesnt always stay in the nesting box I figured out, she will stay in the corner too, kinda all flatned out almost, she looks weird. Thanks for any help!!

David

#72598 - 10/09/05 02:15 PM Re: Hiding Hen
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
Watch her close. It is very hard to say for sure. She could be ill. When I have had a hen remain in the coop to ovoid being picked on she has remained active, scratching , eating, jumping on and off perches and so on. Laying in the corner would give me cause for concern unless she was dust bathing. It takes a lot of time with these animals to know what is “normal” since each one is a little different. Update us of any changes.

Bill L

#72599 - 10/09/05 03:04 PM Re: Hiding Hen
David Offline
Bantam

Loc: Connecticut
As of right now she is outside again running around with the rest of the flock, no signs of illness, just really normal behavoir.. I'll let you know what happpens tommorrow. Thanks Bill

#72600 - 10/10/05 07:18 AM Re: Hiding Hen
Fowl Lover Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Nebraska
I have a Light Brahama that is doing pretty much the same thing right now. Going into winter I don't really want to deal with babies so I make her go outside every evening when I do my p.m. feed and collect eggs. She used to sit in the same box everyday, now she sits wherever the mood strikes and sometimes this is on the floor. Sometimes she's even in a box with no egg (and no evidence of egg so I don't think she's eating them). This has been going on for a couple of months and she doesn't appear to be sick, just determined to brood. She is a little thinner than the others but not dangerously. My chickens free range and get fed in the a.m. and p.m. so I think she's just not benefiting from free range eating. At night she roosts with the rest of the flock. I'm hoping she'll maintain her broodiness through the winter and maybe next spring we won't have to buy chicks, we'll let her do her thing!

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn