Topic Options
#72657 - 08/29/08 07:35 PM really healthy pullet or something to look out for?
Art Ana Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Montana
My limited experience with my former "wild girls" leghorns was small pullet eggs, like a bantam egg size, which were slowly getting larger. Traded the wild girls for 2 younger pullets of less athletic ability-one very young Australorp and one Red Sex Link. My one Plymouth Rock pullet started laying one week ago. One day after the leghorns left. She has layed 6 eggs in 7 days. Each egg has been large size when compared to the last of our store bought eggs. Clean, beautiful. Today she outdid herself. I placed the egg in the egg carton which is labeled for extra large eggs and can not close the lid. I have never seen such a large chicken egg before. Clean and no sign of distress or anything amiss from the lovely Myrna.

Is there anything I should be watching for?

It is such a contrast to the small white eggs of the leghorn pullet. The entire culture of our little flock has changed in a short time. The particular leghorns I had were quite aggressive with the other pullets- whether they were bantams or standard size like the Plymouth. The other birds with the exception of the rooster would hide and have all manners of feathers pulled,in general, they were not able to relax whenever the leghorns were near. Now the bantams have found a place with other bantams, low key standard size pullets and hens, no standard size roosters or extreme leghorns. The rooster met a predator earlier this week. He was overall a nice rooster but did like to harass the bantams on occassion. Now the 4 pullets I have seem to have found a quiet, easy life. There is still a pecking order of course but not a lot of squabbling that I have found. It is nice but I don't want to get complacent if a newly laying pullet is overachieving and it indicates something that needs to be addressed.

Thank you!

#72658 - 08/30/08 03:49 AM Re: really healthy pullet or something to look out for?
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Sometimes pullets will lay a variety of different sized eggs. This may not really settle until they reach their second season of laying, but there are no hard and fast rules here since every bird is unique. I have had pullets lay very large double yolks, and very small "fairy" eggs. My best producing hen is a silver laced wyandotte. Her first season laying, her eggs were very big. She's now in her fourth season laying and her eggs are very much a "normal" size for a heavy breed, although occasionally she still produces a heavier egg than the rest of the hens.
Your hens do not need a rooster to be good layers, or a settled flock. I have never had a rooster with mine as I live in town and we are not allowed roosters under present by-laws. I am confident my hens are happy.
Yes, they do have an established order, and there is the odd scuffle as one re-asserts her dominance.

If your new pullets are bright-eyed, eating well, looking shiny and unruffled, "singing" cheerfully, and laying eggs, there is nothing for you to worry about so just enjoy them. They are great therapy.

#72659 - 08/30/08 07:50 AM Re: really healthy pullet or something to look out for?
Art Ana Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Montana
Thank you Foehn. They are a therapy for me, absolutely.

My husband and oldest daughter did some exploring of New Zealand a year ago. They enjoyed the rainy weather and have memories of a "banana cake" heavy with chocolate frosting. I think they lived off that cake for quite some time as they lived within a rented van artistically painted in a shark motif. My turn next!

Thanks, for the reassurance.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 70 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box