Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#72746 - 10/05/06 05:21 PM HUGE EGG!!! (pics added!)
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
Hello, I haven't gone home yet, but my dad told me he got an egg from our Australorp birds today. He literally watched her lay it. She has been laying everyday since she began laying around 7 months old. Anyway, the egg covers the palm of his hand. He said it was as large, if not bigger than our African Goose eggs. You don't think she'll continue laying these size eggs right? I mean, that HAD to hurt. I will take pictures comparing it to other eggs as soon as I get home and post them on here! I can't wait to see it!

Mikaela

#72747 - 10/06/06 09:59 AM Re: HUGE EGG!!! (pics added!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Probably a multi-yolk "oops" egg...which is pretty normal (especially for a young bird) to lay occasionally. I had a buff Orpington pullet lay a butt-buster egg (literally LOL)- it had FOUR yolks inside (2 'normal' size, 2 dinky). I felt sorry for her, as the egg had blood streaks on it and it obviously *had* to be painful to lay.

#72748 - 10/06/06 05:22 PM Re: HUGE EGG!!! (pics added!)
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
I don't know what "normal" range would be in the weight of an egg and I suspect that shell density could infuence the weight a fraction too, But I have a Silver laced wyandotte in her second year of lay that has always layed big eggs, though not double yolkers. Even as a pullet her eggs were much bigger than I would call normal. I have just weighed some on my kitchen scales although I can't vouch for how accurate they are. Hers weigh in at 3oz. my other hens eggs are between 2.25oz and 2.5oz. What do the rest of you consider about normal?

#72749 - 10/06/06 05:23 PM Re: HUGE EGG!!! (pics added!)
Karla Offline
Bantam

Loc: Canada
oh wow, four yolks!!?? ow!!! lol the most ive had is two. i doubt this will be a regular thing, mikaela. mine sometimes lay monster eggs when theyre young too. its kinda fun to guess if its a double yolker or not wink

#72750 - 10/06/06 09:39 PM Re: HUGE EGG!!! (pics added!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Foehn,

Since each bird is an individual, I generally go by what's "normal" for the different hens (I can almost always ID who laid which egg by appearance). Some ladies just lay larger eggs LOL (btw second-year hens do tend to lay much larger eggs than first year birds).

The biggest egg I've seen was that quadruple-yolk monstrosity (nearly 8 inches long- ow ow ow makes ME ache thinking about it) and the smallest was a strange first pullet egg out of an EE mutt @ about 14 weeks. It had a yolk, but was barely bigger than my thumbnail (I still have the egg- I blew it out and saved it).

Nowadays, since I've got OEGBs and ducks, I call anything that an egg carton will comfortably enclose as "normal".

Interestingly enough, I've only seen ONE double-yolk duck egg...for some reason, ducks don't seem to be as prone to multi-yolk "oopses" as chickens do.

#72751 - 10/07/06 02:28 AM Re: HUGE EGG!!! (pics added!)
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
Thanks Molly K, I have two of those "fairy eggs" they are both a very dark brown and I think one was from my RIR pullet (her very first egg) and the other from an older RIR hen which featured as a question on a previous post. I still have both mine too although I never got round to blowing them. They are about the size of an average macadamia nut. I think my SLWs large eggs would sell as "jumbo" in the shops. I have one of her daughters in first year lay and her eggs are "normal"

#72752 - 10/09/06 02:46 PM Re: HUGE EGG!!! (pics added!)
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Alright! I've got the pics! Dad said she laid it in 2 seconds. She got on the nest, he was gathering eggs so he shooed her off, then she squatted down and laid the egg. She looked at it...did a semicircle...then looked at it again...then made a cooing sound, turned around...then gave it one last good look and walked away! Here's the pics! I couldn't even close my fingers around it! It looks to be a quadruple as well! We were going to eat it, but decided to see what the Guiness book of records had as the largest egg laid by a chicken...now if only I can find the info!

I measured, and the egg, by ruler, is 2 inches across by 3 inches long! WOW! Amazing for our smallest birds on the farm!

Mikaela

When I candled the egg, the air cells just moved along with the egg. I counted six different air cells moving around...but I'm not gonna hold my breath! lol!

#72753 - 10/10/06 07:20 AM Re: HUGE EGG!!! (pics added!)
Seedy Seeds Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Massachusetts
If you hatch these do they hatch "Siamese twin fowl" ? eek

#72754 - 10/10/06 07:52 AM Re: HUGE EGG!!! (pics added!)
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

I won't be hatching the large egg. I'm afraid they would hatch out that way, and personally, I don't want to have to dispatch them. I don't really think the embryos would survive to hatch. So many things can go wrong with a normal egg. Doubtless even more problems in an egg that size!

#72755 - 10/10/06 11:25 AM Re: HUGE EGG!!! (pics added!)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yikes ! Ouchers ! That made me cringe even thinking about popping that whopper out ! Well done to your bird !

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn