Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#72766 - 10/16/06 03:25 PM Re: HUGE EGG!!! (pics added!)
Twin Oaks Farm Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: Louisiana
I think it depends on the country, Mikaela. Go to http://ircalc.usps.gov/ and you can calculate the amount due for sending those snails. laugh

#72767 - 10/16/06 06:12 PM Re: HUGE EGG!!! (pics added!)
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
I just registered with Guinness Records (no cost membership) and was able to send the possible world record via the internet. It said it should take 4-6 weeks..(UG!) Otherwise, the FAST one would only take 3 days, but costed 250euros...I decided to wait...plus, I have pictures, so definately got documentation. We're going to weigh the egg at the post office (very sensitive scale) and measure it with a tape measure both length and width wise. Does that sound like a safe plan? If I took pictures of each example...and if the egg went bad (doubt it as we have eggs MUCH older than that in the fridge) do you think they'd still accept it? Then again, it may not even be accepted as a record account.

Twin Oaks! Thanks for the link! I found that it would take $.74 to send it to the UK. Would I have been able to send it with postage stamps, or is there another thing I would have had to do to send it to the UK? They have some VERY odd restrictions on what you can send there...funny too!

Mikaela

p.s. remeasured the egg. Total length from bottom to top back to bottom of the otherside the total length is: 8 and 7/16 inches (21.5cm)
total width from all around was: 6 and 7/8 inches (17.5 cm) and the weight was 5 oz (102g). I was amazed...although I'm a little sad about the weight...

#72768 - 10/16/06 07:20 PM Re: HUGE EGG!!! (pics added!)
Susie Offline
Lord of the Fowl

Hmmm, other than actually going to or calling the post office for your answer about restrictions, I'm pretty sure if you walk through the process online to print a label, you'll end up with a screen that tells you the restrictions. I just did it the other day for shipping a box to Canada. It's probably a lot quicker to call the post office - unless yours is gossip central, like mine. LOL!

Keep us posted, Mikaela!

#72769 - 10/16/06 09:31 PM Re: HUGE EGG!!! (pics added!)
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
You probably won't have to send the actual egg as long as you get a notary, or Justice of the peace (JP) or whatever you have over there to verify your measurements etc.

#72770 - 11/17/06 01:11 AM Re: HUGE EGG!!! (pics added!)
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Now I just have to brag about my second "Fairy Egg" Mikaela I wonder if there is a guiness record for the smallest hen egg? On right of picture is the first one again. Compare it with the one on left which is the latest. Second "Fairy Egg" How are you getting on with them over your huge egg?

#72771 - 11/17/06 08:55 AM Re: HUGE EGG!!! (pics added!)
Ozark Rose Offline
Flock Leader

Can you take a shot with a ruler? I think I have one smaller and I'll try to do the same.

250 EUROS??? My GOD! Hard to imagine caring that much. I'm just happy they live through it and still lay, HA!

#72772 - 11/17/06 02:23 PM Re: HUGE EGG!!! (pics added!)
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

There's a slight depth of field distortion that makes the egg look bigger than it is in this photo. That's why I tend to favour using a standard object like a matchbox which has a more compatible depth of field. Its actual length is 15/16 of an inch long, and 3/4 of an inch wide. Fairy egg 2 and then, With standard egg There will be a similar depth of field distortion for the standard egg too.

#72773 - 01/24/09 01:49 AM Re: HUGE EGG!!! (pics added!)
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

I thought it time to revisit this post, having come across this news item Large egg Unfortunately they haven't got its weight, but Jrsy, you might just have lost your record!.

#72774 - 01/24/09 02:38 PM Re: HUGE EGG!!! (pics added!)
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

haha! I never had it...the largest egg ever laid was 105g. DARN THEM!!!

Foehn, sorry I hadn't seen this before, but were you saying my photos were disproportionate? I thought having the egg carton and ruler would help in seeing the actual size of it??

#72775 - 01/24/09 02:52 PM Re: HUGE EGG!!! (pics added!)
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Just thought I'd post this...

This is a video about an egg that was incubated with double yolks. The chicks LIVED! lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1ZeEY-kt7A

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn