Topic Options
#72805 - 02/15/04 08:47 PM I scared the broody!! How to get her back??
Anonymous
Unregistered

I went into the shed where I had my second broody hen sitting on 10 eggs, I noticed one was cracked so I took her out and cleaned it up, but my labrador dog was with me and the chook freaked out, flew up on the table and took off out the door.
She has been off the eggs all afternoon, will they be o.k. or are they dog food now.
She had been sitting on them for 4 days, and the dog did not chase her she is well behaved.

#72806 - 02/16/04 02:30 AM Re: I scared the broody!! How to get her back??
Anonymous
Unregistered

I wish I could do that. I have a Silkie/Cochin cross which has been broody for over 6 weeks. It will make a nest of anything it touches (the ground, a roost etc.). I tried putting her in a bird cage with a wire bottom - she made a nest of it. I GIVE IN. IF SHE WASN'T A PET SHE WOULD OF BEEN GONE A LONG TIME AGO. THE PECKS MY NEW CHICKS WITHIN AN INCH OF THEIR LIFE! HELP ME STOP HER BROODINESS BEFORE I DO! confused confused confused

BRETT confused

#72807 - 02/16/04 07:57 AM Re: I scared the broody!! How to get her back??
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
Brett, Make her a nice nest, real one, and put 2 eggs under her at night. When you get your new chicks, again, at night, take the eggs and slip 2 chicks under her. She will need a separate place, but it just might get her back in sync with life, and she might be a good mother hen! I know it is hard to "think" like a chicken, but we have to work out such problems at their level!! Good luck, CJR

#72808 - 02/17/04 02:29 AM Re: I scared the broody!! How to get her back??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry CJR, no can do. She's going ASAP. She did hatch a chick once, and didn't even get off the nest for it. I raised it. And besides, I already have 7 'pet' chooks & 14 layers, and for the time being, I don't want anymore. She tears my chickens to shreds and I'm sick of making special provisions for her. She's useless, lays a few eggs a year, and is barely a pet. And - SHE'S GONE! mad

#72809 - 02/17/04 06:13 AM Re: I scared the broody!! How to get her back??
Jude Offline
Coop Cleaner

Loc: New Zealand
Hi Loosarooster
You can only wait if she goes back good if not ....
The eggs may be alright if the daytime temp is warm if they get cold then they probably wont survive.
If you want this hen to stay broody but she doesn't go back to the nest, gently pick her up when she goes to sleep and put her back on the nest. If she is still there in a couple of days candle the eggs , you may need to replace them with some fresh/fertile ones. If you ever need to do something with the eggs or hen - do it at night.

jude

#72810 - 02/17/04 02:18 PM Re: I scared the broody!! How to get her back??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thankz Jude,
I found her, she went into the coop and was sitting in the nesting box, I put her back on the eggs and she has stayed there, the ouside temp for the day was about 22c, I got her back on in the same day, so I hope the eggs are o.k. smile

#72811 - 02/17/04 04:55 PM Re: I scared the broody!! How to get her back??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is it there a broody bug going around a hen hatched two chicks a week ago and a second of three hens has started to set a few days ago.

#72812 - 02/17/04 06:23 PM Re: I scared the broody!! How to get her back??
Anonymous
Unregistered

i wish there was a broody bug at my place. i can't wait for spring to have more babies!

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn