Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#73261 - 07/30/03 12:02 PM Winter is coming.....
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello all,
I live in Michigan and I'm already thinking about winter. I have a coop house for my hens with electricity to power red heat lamps and regular light sources. My question is about the roo I aquired in the beginning of summer. He currently lives in an igloo style dog house that I placed in the run and built a dividing fence. All the hens go to roost in the coop at night and he climbs on top of the dog house. What happens in the winter? confused Can I expect him to just move into the coop? :p What the hens think of that? eek

#73262 - 07/30/03 12:12 PM Re: Winter is coming.....
Bill Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Nevada
The rooster will probably stay in his little coop, but I think he would freeze there. Can answer the question better if I know why are you keeping him seperate now.
He is going to need heat in the winter just like the hens. If you don't want them togeather, can you build him a section in the coop where he will be warmed by the lamps too. You obviously have a run that is divided, set up a door & divide the coop.

#73263 - 07/30/03 01:11 PM Re: Winter is coming.....
Anonymous
Unregistered

I should have elaborated more. The divided run is only used when my wife enters the run, he thinks it is great to scare her half to death by charging. We've worked that out, me and him I mean. So, he is in what I call general population about 5 days a week. But at night he doesn't go inside when the hens do, he stays out and I shut the door to the coop..Do you think I should just pick him up and put him in. Can I leave the coop door open in the winter?

#73264 - 07/30/03 05:56 PM Re: Winter is coming.....
Anonymous
Unregistered

This will be our first winter with our chickens. Do you shut the coop door before dark or after dark? All our hens and our roo are in there by dark then i go out and shut the door. I dont appreciate your training of your rooster to charge your wife......hehe our roo gives me some evil eyes some time but he has never charged me. well hope this helps good luck

#73265 - 07/30/03 05:58 PM Re: Winter is coming.....
Anonymous
Unregistered

i was told to insulate my coop and have no drafts. I am not sure about the heat lamps wont they stay warm enough without them?

#73266 - 07/30/03 06:41 PM Re: Winter is coming.....
Anonymous
Unregistered

Drafts will kill them, they can take cold but not drafts. A good way to find drafts is wait until a windy night and go out and see where the birds are not sitting on the perchs, thats were the drafts are. Also use a candle (being careful of course of the flame, don't burn the coop down} and watch the flame.I use straw to stuff up some holes, cardboard for some and in the roof and where the birds can't get it, styrofoam. I get most of the styrofoam and cardboard from a furniture store. It insulates the roof real well and thats were a lot of the heat is lost. I also just cover the whole floor on all the coops with bales of hay, wall to wall. The birds do not get any moisture and have about 1 1/2 of hay between them and the dirt. In the spring we take out the hay thats left and use it in the compost and the garden.
Janet Tallon

#73267 - 07/30/03 07:29 PM Re: Winter is coming.....
Bill Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Nevada
Everybodys situation is diferent. Last year is the first year I've had birds in a cold climate. I built my coop to accomidate the coldest weather. Everything is insulated, walls, floor & ceiling. Our weather gets pretty low, but I try to keep the coop above 32 degrees. Last year with a heater, this year its going to be a heat lamp. The heating is not done in the coop part, inside its divided with wire, so the birds stay warm. I may be overdoing it, but I have Japanese & the Males combs freeze easily & I don't want to take a chance.

I think when its gets cold your bird will go inside, but if he doesn't, I would put him in there. I would start now & get him used to going in the coop at night, there isn't any reason for him not to be in there. Being inside is also safer, night predators are temped by a bird sitting out in the open. Dog types can tear the wire off the runs to get at birds. I've had it happen, during the day

#73268 - 07/31/03 10:44 AM Re: Winter is coming.....
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks everyone,
I'll start insulating in september. I have a shingled roof and a wood floor, I think I'll insulate the walls, put hay bales around the outside on the ground and fill the eaves with styrofoam. I think that with the heat lamp that will do it. I hope!
As for the Roo, hopefully he'll figure it out. Right now when he is general population he still doesn't go inside except during the day for shade.
As for my wife, well she only wanted hens and her boss gave her the Roo. She's scared of him and doesn't spend time with him. I do and by default became his care giver. Honestly I'm a dog and horse person, but, now that I'm involved I just keep getting the urge to spend time with them. Rooster Cogburn is aggresive but he's my friend smile

#73269 - 07/31/03 10:58 AM Re: Winter is coming.....
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jean,
I didn't answer you. I go out just before or just after dark and just like yours the hens are all in the coop. They do the funniest thing. the nest boxes are on one side and roost is on the other. Well outa 21 hens only 5 or 6 use the roost (a wooden ladder mounted horizontally). The rest try to cram into the nest boxes. this has been going on for about 3 weeks and it seems the pecking order is determining who roosts and who gets a nest box.
I swear I didn't train cogburn to attack Holly (my wife)lol...but his tricked worked cause she won't go near him. I just crouch down and tell him in a sturn voice who's boss. Now I think he likes me

#73270 - 07/31/03 11:52 AM Re: Winter is coming.....
J. Henderson Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: New York
I've never been able to figure out how you are supposed to ventilate a coop without creating a draft somewhere.

#73271 - 07/31/03 12:51 PM Re: Winter is coming.....
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm with jhenderson, please talk about ventilation
thanks
Sandy and the Giggle Chix

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn