Topic Options
#73292 - 07/30/03 05:40 PM Best time to candle?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi all. Just want to let you know I'm really enjoying this experience with my first broody hen. Every morning, I let her out of her "nest" to eat and drink. First thing she does is to run over and jump up the the roost bar and strut back and forth like a turkey strutting. I read another post where someone mention their broody doing this. It is so cool!

Anyway, it is around day 10 now and I want to candle the eggs. What's the best way to do this? Should I go in after dark and lift her off the nest to candle the eggs and then set her back on the nest? Or should I gather all the eggs while she is off eating and drinking (and strutting LOL) and take them into a dark room in the house to candle and then put them back? What do you think? She seems to be setting pretty solidly. On day 5 she broke an egg in the nest (fortunately did not get any yolk on any other eggs, whew!), but I did have to disassemble the whole nest and put in a fresh liner and fresh straw. She had no problems going back in and setting.

PS, I plan on moving the dog kennel she is nesting in to a different pen in a different barn this weekend (in preparation for hatching while I'm on a business trip), I hope she continues to set after the move, but I guess time will tell.

#73293 - 07/30/03 07:47 PM Re: Best time to candle?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would candle at night, she will be calmest then. Whenever I candled my broodies at night, they didn't even care.

#73294 - 07/31/03 07:53 AM Re: Best time to candle?
Anonymous
Unregistered

We candle at night also ,only because its easyer to see with brown eggs then.Every time we gave a hen more then 10 eggs 1 would get broken,usely one toward the middle of the nest.Good luck.

#73295 - 08/01/03 02:08 PM Re: Best time to candle?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I candled some of the eggs last night....about 6 or 7 out of the 11 she is setting. All had embryos except for one. The egg that I "think" is infertile is heavily speckled though and hard to see through so I'm going to wait a few days longer and candle again to be sure before I pitch it. I'm planning on moving my hen to a new pen this weekend and when I do that I will candle all the eggs.

Thanks all for your help! smile

#73296 - 08/06/03 01:44 AM Re: Best time to candle?
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's best to candle at night when the chook will be least disturbed and less aware of what is happening. If the light you are using is bright enough, you should start to see a dark patch (embryo) within a few days. It all happens so quick!
See ya! smile smile smile

#73297 - 08/06/03 03:02 PM Re: Best time to candle?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm starting to get excited, and it's hard not to count my chickens before they hatch. The eggs are due to hatch on Sunday. I'll be out of town for the next 4 days and won't be back until Sunday night. Mr. Bluedog is in charge!

The move to the other barn went pretty well. Three days ago, we moved the hen and the whole dog kennel/nest at night and put it into my pen in the other barn (away from the rest of my flock). The next day I openned the dog kennel door and let her out in the pen to eat and drink. She had been out over 30-40 minutes, had eaten and drank, but was pacing and didn't go back into the nest. So I caught her and put her back in the "nest box" and shut the door. She settled right in. That was just the first day after the move. The last two days, she comes out once a day for just a few minutes to eat and drink and goes right back in by herself. Good chicken!

Here's hoping that I have some chicks hatched or pipping when I return on Sunday.

Thanks all for your help. This has been fun!

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn