Topic Options
#73298 - 06/27/09 03:33 PM Rooster behavior
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am the new owner of 10 rhode island red hens and 1 unidentifiable breed rooster. He's mostly white with some brown on his wing feathers. He is very large. I adopted them from a family who replaces their production layers every year. The hens are doing great. The problem is the rooster. He is severely hen-pecked and they keep picking at him. He's lost all his tail feathers, although some are trying to grow back. His neck has lots of red raw spots and so does his back. He's just a mess. He's also very very timid and runs away from me and doesn't seem to mind it when the chickens peck him. Where I got him, there were 100 chickens in a fairly small barn and I'm not sure how many roosters for them. Now he's in a nice big coop and run and only has to deal with 10 hens. My question: will he come around and assert some dominance or is he just a wimp? I just feel bad for him. javascript:void(0) Forgive me, I'm totally new to chickens.

#73299 - 06/27/09 03:44 PM Re: Rooster behavior
Foehn Offline
Administrator
Lord of the Fowl

Loc: New Zealand
If he's still very young, the hens may pick on him unmercifully. I'd be inclined to separate him out and rotate the girls, perhaps one at a time through his domain so it helps his confidence and gives him time to mature and heal. Once he is sexually mature, he should then be able to cope with all the hens

#73300 - 06/27/09 03:51 PM Re: Rooster behavior
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow, thanks for the quick reply. Maybe he's not sexually mature, he really doesn't seem to be able to follow through when he's on top of the chickens (from what I've witnessed anyway). I thought he was older as he is so large. I'll try that suggestion.

#73301 - 06/29/09 01:05 PM Re: Rooster behavior
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
Sounds like a red sex-link cockerel. I would separate him until he feels more dominant. Maybe put him in with some submissive hens, but watch carefully.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn