Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#73373 - 04/06/05 04:05 PM What to do with extra roosters (other than eating them)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Do people actually take extra roosters? I got straight run chicks, so probably got several cockerells. I live close to other people who may not like hearing a rooster and I do not want to hatch eggs so no rooster is fine with me. My chidlren would flip if I kill one of our "chicklings" so I am worried what I will do. Suggestions please.

#73374 - 04/06/05 05:10 PM Re: What to do with extra roosters (other than eating them)
Bill Ludwig Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Ohio
I don't mean to be rude here but you should have thought about this before ordering. Try putting up flyers in feed stores. Go to the buy sell and trade forum here and post. Put an add in the paper. If there are any livestock auctions near you take them there. It can be hard to find a home for unwanted roo's.

Bill L.

#73375 - 04/06/05 05:34 PM Re: What to do with extra roosters (other than eating them)
Tucson Chickens Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Arizona
I ended up feeling it was more humane to cull my roos. The feed store no longers takes back roos due to fear of contamination. Other chicken people have little use for roos as it "only takes one". Finally, I live in a city with a high hispanic presence and cock fighting, although illegal, is culturally exceptable here and just across the border. Thus to advertise my roo, most likely I would be handing him over to a cock fighting situation which I am ethically against. Thus a quick whack seemed better than long term suffering. Please understand the first one was really hard. I realized that I also needed to be able to kill a chicken in case one became injured or sick and needed literally to be put out of its suffering. I am a firm believer that unless you are willing to euthanize an animal to end suffering, don't own animals. I do wish you luck finding them homes. It may be a few months before they crow and you know that they are roos for sure.

#73376 - 04/06/05 05:35 PM Re: What to do with extra roosters (other than eating them)
H. Cote Offline
Bantam

Loc: Massachusetts
I know how you feel. I adopted chicks from a 4H youth group and ended up with 2 roosters. I was able to find a home for one but the other one I could not. I posted signs at work, signs at feed store, signs on internet. Nothing. He then became VERY loud (I too have close neighbors), agressive (attacked several visitors)and almost killed his favorite hen because he was on top of her so much she was bleeding and stopped eating/drinking just to stay away from him. This lasted 10 months and we were very much attached to him by that point - even with his problem behavior. However, we had to kill him. It was awful for us but we know it was for the best. Our hens are healing and no longer freaked out, eating, etc. My advice is if you cannot find a home in a short period of time, then kill him. The longer you wait, the harder it will be. Really.
Heidi

#73377 - 04/06/05 06:19 PM Re: What to do with extra roosters (other than eating them)
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

Loc: Montana
I have given young roosters away, with an ad in the weekly shopping news. DO NOT ASK WHAT THEY WILL DO WITH THEM, although I do ask about a coop and feeding. And they just might be pets--at least for a while. Fortunately, I do have some local people, who will take one or more, just because they want bug-eaters! It is something you must prepare for, if you have chickens! CJR

#73378 - 04/06/05 07:31 PM Re: What to do with extra roosters (other than eating them)
Mr. Magoo Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: Southern Pacific
well you hit the wall...everyone that is not a rooster fighter or eater has hit-
they are your pets and they are so cute, they grow up and they are your babies and you want them to grow up and be happy.
i see them for sale at flea markets for soup... you sell them and most of the time they are food, if you sell to the wrong person they are used for cockfighting training, sometimes people need to replace roosters in thier laying flock like when one dies unexpectadely, that is what you hope for.
like others have said above...to be humane, unless you are giving him to a real good home, just eat him or bury him.

#73379 - 04/07/05 10:25 AM Re: What to do with extra roosters (other than eating them)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not to presume what's best for anyone's kids (but my own) - it could be a teachable moment helping them to understand where their chicken dinner comes from??? Tough call though, and only you can make that decision.

Another option, equally difficult, is to find someone with a large snake...

Long before I ever thought about raising chickens, I owned a few large pythons (I like strange pets) and was buying chicks of all ages several times a month... I eventually sold the snake (a 16 ft python is tough to house).

But now having chickens, I often think back on how great it would have been if someone would have offered me all their unwanted cockerels...

If you're in a big enough town, you might try the local pet stores or get lucky enough to find a specialty pet store that deals in large exotic reptiles...

Just a thought. Good luck...

#73380 - 04/07/05 01:16 PM Re: What to do with extra roosters (other than eating them)
Mopar Chick Offline
Chicken

Loc: Pennsylvania
I was wondering what the most humane way to cull a chick or chicken was? What is the quickest and least bloody? I had to kill my sick rooster last fall and I tried twisting his neck to snap his spine, while holding him firmly by the feet and it did not go well. It took a long time and many tears. I couldn't figure out how to use the axe and hold the chicken myself. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? frown

#73381 - 04/07/05 02:32 PM Re: What to do with extra roosters (other than eating them)
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
The axe is quickest I know of/. Put 2 nails in a stump close enuff so the head will not pull thru, hold bird by feet pulling slightly rearward and chop! After the dee you can just drop bird and not look at it until later, they do flop around some.

#73382 - 04/07/05 04:19 PM Re: What to do with extra roosters (other than eating them)
Chris Link Offline
Chicken

Loc: Missouri
Folks no matter what P.E.T.A. or the Humane Society would have you belive to part you from your money, common roosters are not used for ANYTHING to do with cockfighting. there isn't a self respecting gamefowl breeder would let that type of bird on their yard much less use it for fighting sparring or anything else.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn