Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#73439 - 06/20/08 10:54 AM Marker for eggs
Jbyrds Offline
Feather

Loc: Illinois
Hello,
Does anyone know the best way to put a mark on an egg that was checked without having it effect that inside. I am sure any type of ink would not be good. My brooding Silkies will go around the coop and collect eggs from all the other hens. I don't now how they do it (haven't caught them in the act) but they could be sitting on 4 or 5 eggs and the next day there are 8 or 9 eggs. Then a few hatch (very cute) and again more eggs. I want to mark the eggs they are currently sitting on and remove any new ones in the batch. What ever advice you can give me is most appreciated. Also is this normal for Silkies to collect eggs like this?

#73440 - 06/20/08 11:14 AM Re: Marker for eggs
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
I use pencil and mark them on the large end of the egg.

I know of others that use permanent markers and the chicks seem to hatch our fairly well. (The silkie's may not be stealing the eggs, but rather then other hens are laying on top of the silkies and adding more eggs to the silkies eggs.)

#73441 - 06/20/08 11:15 AM Re: Marker for eggs
G. Hickman Offline
Feather

Loc: Montana
You can use a pencil to mark the eggs. I mark the date and pen # for eggs I'm collecting to hold for the incubator or my next broody hen.

Sound like you've got your broodies in the same coop/pen with other hens? More than likely your broody hen(s)probably aren't collecting eggs. Other hens are probably coming and laying additional eggs in their nest or right next to the broody. You should move the broody hens to their own area before the chicks hatch. Otherwise you could have other birds harassing, harming or even killing the chicks.

#73442 - 06/20/08 11:24 AM Re: Marker for eggs
IPF Offline
Coop Keeper

Loc: Canada
I've caught hens in the act - I've seen them scoop an egg from 3 feet away into their clutch.

#73443 - 06/20/08 01:15 PM Re: Marker for eggs
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

If you are going to henhatch, and are using marked eggs, it is good to use a good black pencil that will last through 3 weeks of turning. If I have eggs from different hens (I choose the eggs to be hatched, often not even those of the setting hen) I am sure to mark the hen and cock's band numbers across the egg from "pointy end to the large end), and below that the date laid. When the chicks hatch, they chip out the top of the large end--usually leaving all the pencil labels intact to verify the chick. It is easy to color mark the chick (food color under the wings or on the striped of wild type down), and it will last long enough until you know the chick--then you can use tiny spiral bands of different colors (must be changed as the chick grows) or re color--. Under the wings will last when hen-raised. Otherwise they rub it all off under the hens.

All this makes no matter if all the eggs are from one hen--or you do not keep track for "pedigree" records. Just write the date, on the egg--BUT DO MOVE the hen to her private place to avoid poor hatch because of continual upset by other hens laying in the nest--as ghickman advises! Goood luck, CJR

#73444 - 06/21/08 06:09 AM Re: Marker for eggs
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Now see...that's a brilliant idea! Quick question though...what if the chicks hatch out all black?

#73445 - 06/21/08 08:23 AM Re: Marker for eggs
Rog Offline
Ruler of the Roost

Loc: Missouri
Use yellow food coloring Rog

#73446 - 06/21/08 08:35 AM Re: Marker for eggs
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Yellow food coloring on black chicks? Interesting idea.

#73447 - 06/21/08 12:19 PM Re: Marker for eggs
CJR Online   content
Coop Master

On the skin under the wings lasts a long time=any color down of chicks. CJR

#73448 - 06/21/08 03:08 PM Re: Marker for eggs
Jbyrds Offline
Feather

Loc: Illinois
I am just amazed. I had no idea that you had to seperate the hens that are sitting on eggs from the hens that are laying them. I have read a few books on how to raise chickens but I don't remember the books stating the seperation of the two. Is there a good book on raising chickens that really explains what happpens and what to do? I'd be devastated if any of the chicks or hens got hurt or worse. Thank all of you for this wonderful advice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn