Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#73449 - 06/21/08 06:32 PM Re: Marker for eggs
Jrsygntbrdr1 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Arkansas
Oh! On the skin! Thank you for clearing that up for me CJR! I was thinking on the down...and how I wouldn't be able to see it either...thank you!

#73450 - 06/22/08 03:42 AM Re: Marker for eggs
Kathy W. Offline
Flock Leader

Loc: New York
Earlier this season I had two hens go broody. One I moved right away and she stopped being broody. I kept her in the coop by herself for several days. When I returned her to her home coop, she went back to being broody.

I left the other hen in her home coop longer in hopes of her settling deep into broodiness. However, when I moved her, she also came out of it. Same thing. As long as she was in the coop by herself she did not exhibit any broodiness. She was quite upset. I put another hen in with her hoping she would settle down with company. She stopped being upset but didn't settle into broodiness again.

Both birds were Columbian Wyandottes.

How long should I let them be broody before I move them? Should I move them with a friend and then remove the friend when eggs are near hatching?

- Kathy

#73451 - 06/24/08 11:00 PM Re: Marker for eggs
Kris Offline
Feather

Loc: Nebraska
The best book I've read on the subject thus far (though it talks about a lot of other subjects besides chickens) is the "Encyclopedia of Country Living" by Carla Emery. It discusses the brooding and rearing in practical, down-to-earth terms. There's a lot of other info about gardening and livestock as well.

This book actually warns that moving the hen is risky and may upset the hen enough to make it give up on setting.

We had two hens (Black Australorps) go broody and let them remain where they were in the main coop. We marked the eggs so we could remove any new ones that got deposited daily--too many eggs means that none of them will hatch!

Both hens hatched out at least one chick out of the small clutches they were given. We went ahead and ordered some hatchery chicks to see how well the hens would do raising them. Now, including the three they hatched out themselves, they have 16 and 18 chicks respectively. They may never want to brood again! smile

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn