Topic Options
#73487 - 10/08/05 08:38 AM using roundup (weedkiller) around chickens
Eatnbugz Offline
Bantam

Loc: Oklahoma
I am planning a new tuilip bed in my back yard where my chickens free range also, in the process of turning and tilling the soil i also (in the front yard) have sprayed the area with round-up, so the weeds dont come back under the weed paper. Should i be concerned about the chickens getting in this area? Just skip the round-up treatment or if i must move my plans for the bed elsewhere? I thought weed killer sprays were just herbicides that kill grass, but dont want to endanger my Cochins in anyway..Any advise would be great..This means you CJR.. thanks

#73488 - 10/08/05 09:32 AM Re: using roundup (weedkiller) around chickens
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Loc: Pennsylvania
I dont normally use herbicides nor pesticides but I do use Roundup along fence rows and in prep of new beds and around buildings. We regularly used Roundup at our impound areas on the rip rap side of the dams( Army Corps of Engineers). It is a relativly safe prodoct which begins degradation soon after use. I did spray along the barns and forgot and released the birs a couple hours later, they foraged in all of the areas which were treated and there were NO ill effects, none. I would not recommend the practice, but now I do not allow the birds out for several days. You may hear from puritans of how dangerous this is, it just isnt a cause for panic.

#73489 - 10/08/05 09:40 AM Re: using roundup (weedkiller) around chickens
Eatnbugz Offline
Bantam

Rob, "puritans!" you were just as shocked at that one as i was huh.. anyway thank you for the advice, and as u would suggest i'll wait a few days after using it to let them out if i must use it.. Great that makes the tuilip bed much easier.

#73490 - 10/08/05 03:14 PM Re: using roundup (weedkiller) around chickens
Lacey Offline
Coop Keeper

Will the tulips be fenced in? in the spring when they start to come up i found my chickens are really desperate for greens and they destroyed the one and only tulip we have (had). It was a large one....this past spring when it came up the chickens didnt notice it much because we had alot of onion grass but it also didnt grow a flower this year...they eventually found the green leaves and did more damage to it...i dont think there will ever be a flower again... Same thing with the hostas, they eat them as soon as they spot the green.

#73491 - 10/08/05 04:26 PM Re: using roundup (weedkiller) around chickens
Anonymous
Unregistered

don't worry the goverment uses it remember how great DDT was. everything you put in the ground ends up in the water somewhere .

#73492 - 10/08/05 09:36 PM Re: using roundup (weedkiller) around chickens
Eatnbugz Offline
Bantam

The chickens will have a pen three times the size they have now by the time my tuilips bloom next year, exactly for that reason, they have decimated my flowerbeds.. and with almost an acre of my four being flowerbeds i was quite torn between my chickens and all the work i put into the beds.. I love to watch them on their "schedule" in the back yard but i just dont want to have to choose between them and my flowers, so out of guilt for both eaten flowers and chickens who need to forage, im making a huge chainlink pen.. NO MORE GUILT!!! Thanks guys your all great.

#73493 - 10/09/05 12:03 PM Re: using roundup (weedkiller) around chickens
Rob2 Offline
Classroom Professor

Rich, we used the RU along the lake bank on the upside(rip-rap) of the dams to prevent any vegetive growth, which would make monitoring the stucture nearly impossible. RU was used as it has so minimal deleterious effect on the environment. It readily degrades. I dont think anyone would advocate dumping quantities into the water or pouring on the soil. RU is a far cry from DDT and many other herbicides. I know some of the effects of herbicides, I witnessed the use of pretty nasty stuff in SE Asia. I cant imagine the human and wildlife impact; I do know the areas sprayed in the 6os is regenerated as returning vets cannot identify areas of battle even with the proper coordinates.

#73494 - 10/09/05 04:35 PM Re: using roundup (weedkiller) around chickens
Anonymous
Unregistered

if it readily degrades how come they had to remove the words biodegradable and earth friendly.monsanto makes ru they also produced AGENT ORANGE they also where the original producers of POLYCHLORINATED BIPHENYLS [PCB] i never said dump it in the water .thousands of gallons are spayed on the ground every year every time it rains it gets carried into lakes and streams .

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn