Topic Options
#73619 - 08/07/03 07:07 PM crossed beak
Anonymous
Unregistered

One of my barred rock pullets has a crossed beak. She is the smallest and seems "on behind" as far as development (very little red on her face, comb, etc.) They are all about 18 weeks old. Is this something I can fix, should not mess with, or what? Since she's the smallest I wondered if she was not able to eat well. They are pastured in pens with crumbled feed available 24/7.
Thanks!
Ann

#73620 - 08/08/03 05:18 AM Re: crossed beak
Anonymous
Unregistered

Crossed beak does not effect the ability to eat. It is a recessive gene, so she wont be good for breeding, but will still be a nice bird.

#73621 - 08/08/03 06:09 PM Re: crossed beak
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have read postings in other sites that contradict the above reply. Depending on the severity of the deformity, many must be hand fed to survive. Others stated that they had a vet do some sort of alterations to help remedy the inability to eat. Some one talked of having one as a pet that was totally dependent on hand feeding, small soft food. This is likely the reason yours is so small, lack of adaquate feed. Just my opinion. I would do searches elsewhere if there is not any more info on this site. There may be tho so give a try if you have not already.

#73622 - 08/08/03 07:38 PM Re: crossed beak
Anonymous
Unregistered

My silkie cock has a crossed beak, and he is fine, perfectly normally sized and healthy.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn