Topic Options
#73736 - 02/17/04 08:41 PM Incubation?
Anonymous
Unregistered

What are the allowable variations on temperature of stored eggs being prepared for incubation before embryonic death occurs?

#73737 - 02/17/04 10:16 PM Re: Incubation?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I believe they should not be left in the fridge, but am unsure on that one. Room temperature should be fine.

#73738 - 02/18/04 09:50 AM Re: Incubation?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am aware that 55 degrees is the optimal temp but how much variation from that can occur before there is embryonic death or defect?

#73739 - 02/18/04 10:12 AM Re: Incubation?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I keep mine in a basket on the counter at room temperature (about 70F) and turn them daily.
SO FAR when hatching the ratio has been very good.

#73740 - 02/18/04 12:05 PM Re: Incubation?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I try to keep the temperature as close to 55F as possible and not to vary by more than 5 degrees either way. At 70F or over there is a risk of embryo growth starting.This would not always lead to the death of the chick during incubation but can give weak chicks.

#73741 - 02/18/04 12:44 PM Re: Incubation?
Anonymous
Unregistered

sounds easy enough but how cold is too cold? i was also wondering if the eggs were layed in the morning and not collected till the afternoon would the cold temp outside have any effect on hatch rate?

#73742 - 02/19/04 09:47 AM Re: Incubation?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nate:
Optimal egg storage temp it 50-55F for 7 days. Anything above 68F can result in slow development beginning which can be detrimental and result in poor hatch rate. Eggs freeze at 28F, however I would think that keeping eggs much under 35F for any length of time could be harmful. "A Guide to Better Hatching" recommends storage temp between 40-60F.
As far as collecting everyday, if your temperatures are in the freezing range, eggs should be collected as often as possible, then you have a chance to save some eggs at least. If temps are above 40F you should be OK. Eggs should also be collected frequently in extreme heat.

#73743 - 02/19/04 11:58 AM Re: Incubation?
Anonymous
Unregistered

My biology teacher hatched eggs I gave him after a few were in the refridgerator overnight. They hatched fine but the only reason they were in the fridge was because the chickens didn't lay as well as I expected that day and he wanted a full incubator so I pulled a few eggs out of storage. I think it is best to keep eggs in a slightly cooler room, just so they don't start developing on their own in a warm room. If they did start developing and couldn't maintain warmth the embryos would die, but if the room is just a bit cooler the eggs never start to develop and are able to stay for a few days.

Moderator:  Admin @ The Coop, Foehn